What connections do I need for rippng cd,s and listening to DAB radio, please ?

Ian Barber

Sep 7, 2021, 5:30:31 PM9/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I have a hi-fi system, built-up over many years with pre and separate power amp, cd transport and sep DAC. I believe that I need a cable from the B2 to the DAC( Dacmagic Plus ) for the best sound( optical-optical ) but I am not sure whether to use the BT router  or Sky Q box for DAB radio  and internet connection for track data etc after ripping. I would like to buy a B2 in the next couple of weeks, and it would be extremely helpful to me to know exactly what connections will be required, please ? Many thanks  Ian

Daniel Taylor

Sep 7, 2021, 5:55:50 PM9/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I don't know if this is worth mentioning or not.  So take it for what it's worth.  The B2 will receive internet radio (through the vTuner service), but it does not do DAB radio.  You'll need a different box for that.

You're right about the optical cable to feed the B2's digital output to your DAC.

As far as the BT router or Sky Q box is concerned, I don't know the answer to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else will come along and answer this much more eloquently than I.  Stay tuned.

John Alexander

Sep 7, 2021, 6:26:39 PM9/7/21
to Brennan Forum
As already mentioned, the B2 does not receive DAB. I have a BT router and a Sky 2 Box. The B2 does not connect with the Sky box, it just connects to the BT Router for Internet Radio. Although most, if not all, stations on DAB are also on the internet there are time, especially with the BBC that what is broadcast from the same station can be different between DAB and Internet. So if you have a particular need for DAB you may need to look at another solution. If you are happy with Internet Radio then the B2 will work just fine with the BT Router.

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2021, 10:16:01 PM9/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

The Sky Q box it just for your Sky Q system, it plugs into your main Router (BT), your B2 should be connected to your main router NOT Sky Q.
The B2 only provides internet radio and it is of much better quality than DAB. In the UK the DAB project/service has essentially failed.
If your external hi-fi does not have a "built in" optical connection, then the best way of connecting it to a B2 is by using the B2's optical output to a separate DAC box (even a cheep one will do) which then provides the analogue signal for your hi-fi.

Fred

Ian Barber

Sep 8, 2021, 3:24:01 AM9/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I believe that Internet radio would be ok, rather than DAB as we just need to be able to listen to a few popular stations, like we do at present on our modern Roberts portable radio, but through the hi-fi. Just one last question ( I hope ), which input would I use for connecting the BT router to the B2, and would it be RCA terminated, please ? Cheers to all.

John Alexander

Sep 8, 2021, 3:35:06 AM9/8/21
to Brennan Forum
You can use WiFi to connect to your BT router.

John

Ian Barber

Sep 8, 2021, 3:42:59 AM9/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John.

Cheers

Ian

PMB

Sep 8, 2021, 4:01:45 AM9/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

The B2 comes with a WiFi dongle.

The cable you need for the optical connection looks like this -

Mini TOS Link cable.jpg

It's a mini TOSLink to TOSLInk.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Davywhizz

Sep 8, 2021, 1:57:14 PM9/8/21
to Brennan Forum
...and if you have any problem with your wifi - the B2 needs quite a strong connection - there is the option of a wired (ethernet) connection between the router and B2.