b2 and ssd?

Michael Firstenberg

Feb 17, 2019, 8:24:24 AM2/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a B2 - looks like exciting technology and exactly what I have been looking for.....

I have seen reports of people changing out their HDD for a SSD

My question:  is there an option (or will there be in the near future) to buy a new B2 with a SSD instead of a HDD?

thank you,

-michael

Daniel Taylor

Feb 17, 2019, 10:14:05 AM2/17/19
to Brennan Forum
I thought about doing that too, when I bought my B2.  So I read up a little on it.  The primary advantage of an SSD is faster access time.  That's really nice when you're waiting for your computer to boot up.  The B2 only takes 10 seconds to boot, and the OS is on the SD card, not on the HDD.  So an SDD would provide no advantage in that respect.  When it comes to reading the music data, faster access would be imperceptible - an HDD can read the music plenty fast to keep up with the music.

There are drawbacks to an SDD, as well.  First of all, they are quite a bit more expensive.  That may change in the future, but for now, that extra cost doesn't get you much bang for your buck on a B2.  Also, as I understand it, the life expectancy of an SSD is generally shorter than a (non-defective) HDD.  Albeit, an HDD can fail at any time.  I suppose an SDD could, too.

Michael Firstenberg

Feb 17, 2019, 12:00:57 PM2/17/19
to Brennan Forum
thank you for your prompt reply and insights.
I agree with your concerns - but I often wonder about having a HDD running continuous (does it shut down when the unit is not being used?) and the noise vs the reported silent durability of SSD's that now appear in every lap top and are getting less and less expensive for the 500-1tb range

-m

Edwyn Corteen

Feb 17, 2019, 12:03:56 PM2/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael

I cannot hear my B2 hard drive working, also in standby it does spin down.