B2 optical out issue?

Davywhizz

Jul 24, 2020, 9:29:47 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Today I used my B2 for the first time after a couple of weeks' break. Everything looked fine and the hifi recognised the optical connection from the B2 (PCM 44.1 digital on the display). But no sound came out. I tried rebooting, scan disk and a web upgrade to no effect. Then I got sound from the hifi headphones socket so the B2 was sending something out. But still nothing via optical. I swopped the optical cable for a 3.5 mm jack to RCA: this got music to the speakers and also reminded me how much better the optical connection is. I replaced the optical cable and it was back to normal. Does anyone else have any experience or advice on this?

Fred Hopper

Jul 24, 2020, 9:58:08 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davywhizz

Sorry your message left me a bit confused, when you report that " I replaced the optical cable and it was back to normal", are you saying that the optical connection was working again?

Fred

Davywhizz

Jul 24, 2020, 10:17:32 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes, everything worked as it should, but I have no idea what the problem had been

Daniel Taylor

Jul 24, 2020, 10:20:54 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
That phrase gave me pause, too.  Did you replace your optical cable with another optical cable, which then worked.  Or do you mean you went back to the original optical cable after using the analog cable?

Regardless, I think it might be possible that the optical cable is damaged.  I've not ever heard of an optical cable being intermittent, but I suppose it might be possible.  Optical cables are made of glass fiber, and are much more easily damaged than a wire cable.

Or it may just have not been plugged in well on one end.

Davywhizz

Jul 24, 2020, 10:25:12 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
It was the same optical cable, which I had taken out to try the analogue stereo jack option. Next step woukd have been to try a different optical cable!

Fred Hopper

Jul 24, 2020, 10:34:50 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
HMM.

If I were you I would keep that new optical cable to hand!! I suspect (unless it was not in all the way) that that is probably the source of your issue.

Fred