Win 10 NAS frustration

Warren Knauer

Feb 27, 2021, 6:06:50 PM2/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello b2 users, I am new since Friday.  The only frustration I've had so far is the subject of this post.  I'm suspecting something still requires change in my Win 10 Pro settings to see the Brennan as a NAS...  I'm retired and probably have forgotten something that was second nature 3-4 yrs ago.

Any suggestions or guidance (checklists etc)--any & all would be appreciated.

I can use the web interface with Chrome on that PC.  I can access the b2 NAS from my Mac so it certainly hasn't fallen over  (I think that's how some Brit friends would have put it).  Ripping like crazy, with internal and external optical drive.
The help on the Brennan.co.uk site presumes your Windows settings are already as-needed because the actual hand-holding bit is quite brief.  I figured the Mac NAS access would be problematic but NOT in the least...

By the way, isn't this the $h1t ?  I think Mr Brennan & co sure did produce a pretty good kit or gear for us to use!
Regards,
Warren

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2021, 5:53:28 AM2/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Warren,

Yes people have been where you are before (there is lots of help on the forum - look under the NAS label), but here is Paul's (From Brennan) summary advice
Please see the following notes on setting up NAS on a Windows PC -

NAS mode using a Windows 10 computer:

On the B2:

  • Make sure the B2 is connected to WiFi - displaying an IP Address - something like 192.168.1.127

  • Using the front control go to the Maintenance menu and select Start NAS - the display will return to the clock and then show 'done' after a couple of seconds.

On your Win10 computer:

This stage only required if the B2 doesn't show in 'View network computers and devices' (see the next stage)

  • In the 'Type here to search' box type - Turn Windows features on and off (you don't have to type all of this as you will be prompted by the computer).

  • Click on 'Turn Windows features on and off'

  • Scroll down to 'SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support' and expand the section - click on the '+' box

  • Select the second item - SMB1.0/CIFS Client - it may already be selected so no need to select again

  • Click on OK.

On the Win10 computer:

  • In the 'Type here to search' box type View network computers and devices

  • Click on 'View network computers and Devices'

  • BRENNANB2 should be displayed on the 'computer' line - if not wait a while (it can take a while to show the first time) and try refreshing the 'View network....' page.

  • Double click on BRENNANB2 - a pop up panel will open

  • Enter user name = root

  • Enter password = brennan and click on OK

  • The B2's 'music' folder will be shown - double click to open it - this can take a while as the computer needs to load all of the files on the B2's HDD.

  • Once loaded a list of Artist folders will be shown

  • Double clicking on an Artist folder will show the Album folder/s associated with the Artist

  • Double clicking any Album folder will show the Tracks and Album Artworks

You can then edit these folders and files as you would any folders/files on your computer e.g. create new folders, copy and paste, cut and paste, rename, delete, etc.

You can also copy music from your computer (iTunes, etc) to the B2 whilst in NAS mode - make sure you maintain the correct Artist - Album - Track folder format so the music is correctly displayed on the B2.

Please note - any changes you make on the computer are local to the computer and must be transferred to the B2 by running Scan Disk - Settings menu - on the B2. If you leave the computer session without running Scan Disk, any changes will be lost.

Paul
Brennan Support.
Please come back to us if you still have difficulties. I assure you seeing the B2 as a NAS from Windows 10 DOES WORK!

Fred

Warren Knauer

Feb 28, 2021, 4:01:48 PM2/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks much, Fred!  Grateful for your help.  Full success now.  The only bit I needed was:
  • Scroll down to 'SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support' and expand the section - click on the '+' box

  • Select the second item - SMB1.0/CIFS Client - it may already be selected so no need to select again

  • Click on OK.

Best Regards,
Warren

Warren Knauer

Feb 28, 2021, 4:10:24 PM2/28/21
to Brennan Forum
RESOLVED

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2021, 9:51:32 PM2/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Warren,

Glad your sorted.

Remember not to ask the B2 to do 2 things at once, do regular "Scan Disks" - especially after changes made by NAS, power off only having initiated a "Save", make regular backups using the "Export to USB (A or C)" and format any backup device (to FAT32) you will be using on the B2's  USB using the B2's utility for this.

Fred

PMB

Mar 1, 2021, 4:06:21 AM3/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Warren,

And do a backup (Export to C) at some point.

Paul
Brennan Support.