Inexpensive tablet to use as a remote control?

Will Roberts

Apr 17, 2018, 1:02:56 AM4/17/18
to Brennan Forum
I finally got the B2 more-or-less stable on the WiFi network by replacing the OEM dongle with a inexpensive dongle with antenna from Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J3HXZH)  I still think I am going to connect the B2 to the wired LAN at some point because of the speed limitations of the WiFi when transferring files to and from the B2 as NAS. (I often copy music files over the LAN from the B2 to a USB thumb drive to make up playlists for use in my car.)

I would like to get a tablet computer to leave on my coffee table as a remote control using the B2 browser interface. I don't need a lot of features, just the ability to run a browser and control the B2 using the tablet's touchscreen. I am not adverse to finding something used or reconditioned via eBay or other sources. It just needs to be stable, reasonably responsive, and able to run for a few hours before needing to be recharged. Even an obsolete/obsolescent device would be OK because the task is simple.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution?

dclement

Apr 19, 2018, 11:25:57 AM4/19/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Will, Ive had the same idea for some time.

I was thinking of a Kindle Fire (possibly refurbished, or wait for a special offer)--it's cheaper than some middle-range universal remotes (Logithech).

We only need the web browser, no specific app. to install (thanks to the developers!).

I do see one drawback though: that would require to make sure to close the web-UI if the B2 is to enter sleep mode after being idle.

Best regards, Daniel

bryansi...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2018, 11:42:54 AM4/19/18
to Brennan Forum
I am using a portfolio 10DTB42 which was on cheap offer in "The Times" a year or so ago. Operating system is Android.5.1

Edwyn Corteen

Apr 19, 2018, 3:26:49 PM4/19/18
to Brennan Forum
I use a Kindle Fire, works fine with the B2 and since it was a present didn't cost much!!

Keith Conrad

Apr 19, 2018, 10:00:44 PM4/19/18
to Brennan Forum
Greetings,

Yes I can second the Kindle Fire.  I have the 10" HD Version, use their own Silk Browser and have no issues. I can also use it to access my Marantz Tuner.

Hope this helps.

Keith Conrad
USA

Will Roberts

Apr 19, 2018, 11:36:42 PM4/19/18
to Brennan Forum
Thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like the Kindle Fire is a logical and economical choice. I just checked eBay and discovered many, many on offer in various models and price points.

dclement

Apr 23, 2018, 2:03:08 PM4/23/18
to Brennan Forum
I too would like to thank those who shared their experience.

I was able to do a quick test today with an Android device. I deliberately didn't close the browser, and I could check that it didn't prevent the B2 from going into sleep mode. I can only assume that's the same with the Kindle Fire browser.

I think I'll grab one too!

Will Roberts

Apr 23, 2018, 2:49:13 PM4/23/18
to Brennan Forum
dclement wrote:

" I deliberately didn't close the browser, and I could check that it didn't prevent the B2 from going into sleep mode."

This is what one would expect because web browsing (http) is "stateless" -- unless the Brennan B2's built-in web server were to be programmed to intentionally do more than just serve up pages.

Here is a concise explanation/description which I found online:

"A protocol is stateless if there is no relation between subsequent request-response pairs. The server can handle each request uniquely and does not have to keep track of a session state for the client. The HTTP protocol, which is the communications vehicle for Web transactions, is stateless. After a web page is delivered to the user, the connection is closed. Mechanisms, such as the use of cookies, have been developed to maintain the state of a user moving from page to page on a Web site."

With the Brennan B2, one can use the web interface from a browser on one machine and, a moment later, connect from a different machine. The Brennan B2 just serves up pages as requested and takes instructions. (Although possible, it's probably unwise for you and your spouse to connect to the Brennan concurrently from different devices while arguing over what's playing.)

David Gardner

Apr 25, 2018, 7:35:34 AM4/25/18
to Brennan Forum
You said "I deliberately didn't close the browser, and I could check that it didn't prevent the B2 from going into sleep mode"
But did your android device go into sleep mode? Just curious because if the device went to sleep wouldn't that be the same as closing the browser?

dclement

Apr 25, 2018, 8:22:27 AM4/25/18
to Brennan Forum
Hmm... I'm not much of an Android expert. What I did: launch the browser, access the B2, and not call the Android "task bar"(?) where one can "wipe" running apps out of the screen (and memory?) That's what I would have called "closing the browser". Then the Android did go to sleep, and so did the B2 after a while. But then, I woke up the Android device and the browser was still present in the taskbar (hence, was not "closed"--that's the difference I can see).

Whatever, the B2 does go to sleep and its screen is preserved, thanks to the valuable screensaver feature. So I really do not see any restriction in using a tablet as a remote.

(also for Will) My concerns were about other users (perhaps in this very forum) saying that the web UI from a PC did not allow the B2 to go into sleep mode. I think we can safely assume that a Kindle Fire will behave as a regular Android device.

David Gardner

Apr 25, 2018, 8:56:04 PM4/25/18
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the clarification. I have a similar experience that when my tablet goes to sleep with the Web UI open the b2 soon follows suit. I think that is also true for when the PC goes to sleep with the Web UI open but I haven't tested.

Dick Cooper

Apr 26, 2018, 10:59:20 AM4/26/18
to Brennan Forum
Just a word of caution - make sure you get a device with sufficient battery time - my (old) Nexus 7 only lasts a couple of hours before it goes flat (and the battery is no user-replaceable)