To delete memory on SD card

markn...@msn.com

Apr 18, 2022, 10:41:15 AM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
It was brought to my attention that Iwas filling the SD card with my CD's instead of the HDD.
This seems to be true. Now that that I have switched to the HDD setting, ripping CD's doesn't seem to be a problem seeing  I've ripped 340 of them now.
I assume I have to delete the files on the Sd card for playback. I think if you go into Maintenance, select Go to SD card, there is a prompt to delete the files on the SD card.
Is this correct or do I have to do something else?
I have not tried to play anything back on this unit yet, that is the next step now that there is a library to select from.
Mark Nieman

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2022, 11:15:10 AM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

It is the normal state to have the music you are ripping go onto the B2's HDD.
However because the first models of the B2 did not have HDDs, the software has the ability to use a portion of the little SD Card inside the B2 to store music - (the rest of the SD card is used to hold the operating system and the B2 "boots" up from this card!).
There is a B2 command to switch the system into using either the HDD or the SD Card as it music store. Sometime if the B2 experiences a (power) glitch this switch can happen spontaneously - I think this is what happened in your case.
While in HDD mode you can not play (or indeed see) any music that is on the SD card. (if you switched back to using the SD card you could, but then the HDD music would not be visible).
The B2 has a function to copy music held on the SD card off onto a USB device plugged into the back of the B2.
a.JPG
Once copied off you can the "import" onto the B2's HDD.

To delete the SD Music I would suggest "switching" to using the SD Card then use the Web UI to delete the content. Then remember to "switch" back to the HDD mode.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Apr 18, 2022, 1:47:41 PM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
When you run the command to "Use SD" (Maintenance menu), after the unit reboots, be certain that the front panel display reads Source: SD Card.  Only then should you delete the music.  If it reads Source: HDD, then if yo delete the music, you're losing it all.

When you're all done with the music on the SD card, run the "Use HDD" command to get the source back to the HDD, and back to normal.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2022, 2:36:38 PM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Good point Daniel, I must remember to emphasize that risk in future.
Fred