Powered speakers for B2

Ian Roberts

Mar 31, 2022, 5:19:31 AM3/31/22
to Brennan Forum
Does anyone have a recommendation for powered 8ohm shelf/desktop speakers for use with a B2?
Regards

Davywhizz

Mar 31, 2022, 8:03:35 AM3/31/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian

You don't need to worry about impedance for powered speakers, they will be matched to the requirements of their internal amplifier. When feeding them from the B2 you are only using the low-level line out analogue signal. Better still, get some with an internal DAC (with an optical input) and use the optical output from the B2. You'll get better sound quality that way and less chance of any electrical interference.

You don't indicate what you want to spend, what audio quality you need or if you have any size constraints. There are lots of very good powered speakers, including from some well respected hifi brands. A cheaper option that I like a lot is the Steljes NS3 (I have their NS1s as my desktop speakers, but they don't have an optical input; the NS3 does). They come in a range of colours, have loads of different connections and get pretty good reviews.  I'd see them primarily as "near-field monitors", ideal for listening at a desk or across a shortish distance. If you want them to fill a large room and listen from the opposite end,  you may need to look elsewhere, but they are a bargain for what you get.

Ian Roberts

Mar 31, 2022, 8:43:23 AM3/31/22
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks for the info