Shortening the names displayed on the OLED display for vTuner Presets

Tony

Mar 11, 2018, 11:48:27 AM3/11/18
to Brennan Forum
I have a pretty static vTuner preset list now with no plans to make many changes in the future.   One minor annoyance is that many of the station I listen to start with the same 10 (or so) characters. The all look the same on the OLED display when trying to select a specific station.  So I've learned to count how many front dial clicks it takes to get to each one.  Sort of like braille for the B2 - workable but clunky.
With a little spare time today,  I went code diving in the B2 via an ssh command line connection and found this file : /media/hdd1/b2settings.  In that file, the tuner presets start at line 12 and take three lines each.  Editing the 2nd line of each group (the preset's name) and the rebooting the B2 causes is to start using the edited preset names.

Success!

So I pressed my luck and added a 10th preset to the file.  A long shot and sure enough, it didn't work. The nine presets are all we get with the current software.

tl;dr : edit media/hdd1/b2settings

Brennan Support

Mar 13, 2018, 11:16:28 AM3/13/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony

Martin here - ingenious - finding and inventing a way to change the station names titles. I can confirm its quite safe.

More presets will have to wait for me to write some code - its on the list

Martin

Andrew Denny

Apr 1, 2018, 10:36:28 AM4/1/18
to Brennan Forum
I'm not sure I understand this, so it's probably better for me to wait for the official solution. But my problem is the other way round - I want FEWER presets.  Probably about 5.
(BBC R 2, 3, 4, Classic FM and Jazz FM).

Tony

Apr 1, 2018, 10:46:20 AM4/1/18
to Brennan Forum
Fewer presets? If you want just 2 or 5 presets its pretty easy to do that nicely.  You can also do it for a different numbers of total presets but it will not be quite as pretty.

Just put your preset list in twice !  For only 5 presets :

[0] BBC R2
[1] BBC R3
[2] BBC R4
[3] Classic FM
[4] Jazz FM
[5] BBC R2
[6] BBC R3
[7] BBC R4
[8] Classic FM
[9] Jazz FM

I'll leave it to you to figure out how to do different numbers of total presets - but 2 is the only other one that fits neatly and more than 6 doesn't really work.

Andrew Denny

Apr 1, 2018, 11:14:46 AM4/1/18
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, good idea!  Actually, it would be neater to have Classic FM as 0 and Jazz FM as 1, since then the BBC stations can be 2, 3 & 4 to correspond with the buttons on the remote, to be nice & tidy.
But then they'd also be 7, 8 & 9 which would be untidy again :-)

Tony

Apr 1, 2018, 11:36:49 AM4/1/18
to Brennan Forum
Good improvement !  So what if they are also at 5,6,7,8,&9 on your remote?  You'd still have 0 - 4 on the remote do what you want.  Just ignore 5 to 9 buttons.