NAD 3020 v2

Bradley Gross

Nov 8, 2020, 3:00:46 PM11/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Will using an NAD 3020 v2 make a significant difference with my B2? I'm using Cambridge Minx speakers in a room of less than 150 sq ft.

Brad

Daniel Taylor

Nov 8, 2020, 5:29:40 PM11/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Some people are quite happy with the sound of the B2's internal amp.  Not me.  I would definitely expect the NAD to be a noticable improvement.  Although, I'm not familiare with the Minx speakers, I know Cambridge makes good sounding stuff.

Cpt Souffle

Nov 9, 2020, 2:33:45 AM11/9/20
to Brennan Forum
I think the NAD and Cambridge offer a significant uplift in output quality  - I can vouch for both

PMB

Nov 9, 2020, 5:04:25 AM11/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bradley,

The NAD has an optical input and if this is used with the B2 I would expect to hear some improvement in audio quality.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Eccles

Nov 10, 2020, 6:50:26 AM11/10/20
to Brennan Forum
I used my B2 for a few months just by itself, connected to a pair of Dali Spektor 2  speakers and it sounded fine but when you turned to volume up it just didn't seem that loud. After a bit of research ( I was on a budget) I opted for a Tangent Ampster 2 and connected it via a toslink cable. Now the sound is brilliant, so much fuller, and a lot louder! The Tangent amp isn't too much bigger than the B2 so it's still a nice neat  small package.

Davywhizz

Nov 14, 2020, 6:24:30 PM11/14/20
to Brennan Forum
I've  been looking for an upgrade to my hifi amp,  to which I connect my B2 by optical cable. After a lot of research, the NAD  3020 v2 is the current favourite. It has great reviews, a unique design and a bargain price. NAD's original 3020, first produced in the 1970s, is still seen as a groundbreaking classic.

I'd also been thinking about the very similar, but more expensive, NAD 3045, but don't think I really need the extras it has. I do want to connect a turntable and music streamer as well as the B2, so needed to factor that in:  your requirements may be different Brad, but based on the 3020 reviews I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've never used the B2's internal amplifier, so can't make any comparisons, but I've tried the analogue output (rather than the optical) into my hifi, thus using the B2's internal DAC. I have to say the external DAC is noticeably better.

Davywhizz

Nov 20, 2020, 5:58:57 AM11/20/20
to Brennan Forum
PS I decided to go for it: my new NAD 3020 v2 is due to arrive in the next hour.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 20, 2020, 6:49:34 AM11/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Interesting that you can pin-point its arrival to the hour.  In the US, we are lucky if we can narrow it down to within the week.  ;o)

Davywhizz

Nov 20, 2020, 8:14:28 AM11/20/20
to Brennan Forum

Yes, and it arrived right in the middle of the one hour slot. This was by a large, private courier on behalf of a hifi shop. It's not always like that, but generally pretty good, even though we live out in the wilds of the English/Scottish borders.