Distortion

tony...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2022, 12:49:29 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
I have recently discovered that all my music is being played quite heavily distorted out of my B2.
Does not make any difference whether I am using the B2 amp or an external amp.
The equaliser is not enabled.
I have not noticed the distortion when playing out of the R6M preset.

Any ideas?

Mark Fishman

Mar 16, 2022, 5:00:52 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
What is an R6M preset?
and
"recently discovered" -- does that mean that it wasn't distorted before recently?

Jeff. M.

Mar 16, 2022, 5:07:16 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
I think he mean
s BBC radio 6 music, Mark!

tony...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2022, 6:07:39 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
The B2 was playing perfectly up until two weeks ago then I noticed the distortion coming through on odd tracks. (I play my 900 odd ripped cds mainly in random) Then I noticed that it was becoming every track so today I plugged in my amp and reconnected the speakers to it. Same result. I did notice that on a Max Richter track the top end high note sounded ok but the rest was a distorted mush.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2022, 7:02:15 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

Most frustrating for you.

If you have a PC or Mac could I suggest you turn on the B2's NAS and listen to its music that way using a PC or MAC app to play. This will tell us if
The problem is with the B2's music files themselves or with the hardware/system the B2 is using to play this music.

The other possibility conformant with what you describe could be a software corruption with the Brennan software which is stored on the B2's SD Card. You could test this by replacing this card with a new one from Brennan or re-flashing the software on the current one.

Fred.

PMB

Mar 17, 2022, 5:05:00 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

As the radio appears to play OK, it could be a problem with something in the hard drive signal chain.

Fred suggestion to play music from the B2's hard drive on your computer and NAS, would prove if the music files are OK. What computer and OS are you running - so we can advise?

Alternatively we could take a look at your unit.

Paul
Brennan Support.

tony...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 4:04:42 AM3/18/22
to Brennan Forum
My laptop is a windows 8.1 machine. (yes that old)
I do not understand the comment of playing the music from the B2's hard drive onto my computer but i assume you will give me the instructions of how to do this. The sound produced by the laptop is not good.
If I knew how I copy some music files onto my phone, which I also use to control the B2, I can then play out through that onto say my car stereo.

PMB

Mar 18, 2022, 5:00:05 AM3/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

Does the car stereo have a USB socket? If it has you can copy a few tracks to a USB stick and play them in the car - will explain if you say yes.

The point is to play some of the suspect music files on another player to prove if it is a data or a hardware issue.

Paul
Brennan Support.

tony...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2022, 10:47:56 AM3/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

The car stereo does not have a USB port (I just blacktooth from my phone but with .wav files as I also rip on my laptop to that format precisely for that. Now if I knew how to transfer the flac files onto a portable HD then could be in a better position to test.

Message has been deleted

JFBUK

Mar 19, 2022, 12:17:08 PM3/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Tony,

I assume your laptop does have a USB port ?

You can copy tracks to a USB drive from the B2 via a playlist using the menu

>Playlist>Export Playlist

1. You could then try playback from the USB plugged into your laptop  using something like Windows media player ?

OR

2. Copy the tracks from the USB drive onto your laptop hard drive and thence to your phone

John

PMB

Mar 21, 2022, 3:52:52 AM3/21/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

Run Scan Disk - Settings menu >> add a few of the distorted sounding tracks to an empty playlist >> plug a USB stick into USB C >> use the front control to go to the Playlist menu >> select 'Export Playlist'

Transfer the stick to your computer and try to play the tracks off the stick. Do they sound distorted?

Paul
Brennan Support.