YouTube question

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 12, 2021, 3:01:43 PM11/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi. I am trying to play a YouTube video for the first time using the web UI. This is the video. https://youtu.be/WLZ2SVLre04 I clicked on the YouTube tab, put this url in the search bar, it sees the video, but puts it under History instead of Recent Searches. When I click on the video under History I get the twirly thingie, but nothing else happens. The twirly stops. I have tried deleting the video from history and search for it again, but the same thing happens. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

JFBUK

Nov 12, 2021, 3:57:18 PM11/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Shawn,
I can access that YouTube url ok.
Have you tried accessing internet radio to check it’s not an internet connection issue ?
John

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 13, 2021, 6:28:33 AM11/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,
I can play internet radio perfectly. Any YouTube url seems to be recognized, but the title and little thumbnail go right into history. When I click on them, the twirly thingie stops after about ten seconds and nothing happens.
Shawn

JFBUK

Nov 13, 2021, 9:06:46 AM11/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Shawn,
I have been able to reproduce your problem but I'm not sure what is going on as yet.
When I said I could play your clip (great track by the way), I had simply pasted the URL you gave into the B2 YouTube search box and it played fine.
When I do more general searches and choose one of the results I get the same lack of audio even though the B2 says its playing.
This is intermittent though.
It works Ok for some clips and not others.
Turning on YouTube caching does allow the non-playing ones to play once the clip has been fully cached (Green tick in history).
B2 YouTube functionality is still classed as 'experimental' I think so glitches are to be expected.
This is especially true if YouTube change something on their side

John

Results from a YouTube search on 'Robert Plant'

Screenshot 2021-11-13 135052.JPG

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 13, 2021, 9:37:45 AM11/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

When I try a YouTube url in the search box it doesn't even show up in the search section. It goes straight to history where it obviously does not cache because the Bill Henderson video has been in there for two or three days now.

Glad you like the song. Bill Henderson has been around the Canadian music scene since I first saw him in his band The Collectors which evolved into Chilliwack. I sure would love to play that song through my B2.

Shawn

b2.png

JFBUK

Nov 13, 2021, 9:47:44 AM11/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Shawn,

its not a solution but I found that if you leave the clip playing without sound and have 'YouTube Caching' enabled the B2 is still downloading the clip in the background.
When it get its green tick in your history list its fully downloaded and should play ok because it playing back from your HDD.

Screenshot 2021-11-13 144126.JPGScreenshot 2021-11-13 144705.JPG
John

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 21, 2021, 7:48:05 AM11/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

I have had two videos sitting in history for weeks. I think they should be cached by now. I don't see a green tick and neither of them will play. I tried a new search for The Beatles "Don't Let Me Down." It showed up under the search heading and also appeared in the history along with the other two videos. It has no tick mark and also won't play.

I thought maybe my VPN was causing the problem so I switched countries. That didn't work. Then I turned off my VPN. That didn't work either.

I guess I'll just give up on YouTube videos ever playing for me.

Thanks,

Shawn

JFBUK

Nov 21, 2021, 11:25:27 AM11/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Shawn,

Its puzzling.

Have you checked with your internet provider that they do not block YouTube downloads ?

I know that there was some noise about this earlier this year because it can infringe intellectual property rights.

'YouTube fans will soon find themselves blocked from a number of popular websites that enable them to download music videos, movie clips and more from YouTube. These tough new bans are designed to stop users from downloading music from YouTube videos and listening offline without paying for the privilege.'

My ISP in the UK (Virgin Media) clearly is not blocking all YouTube clips currently .

Hopefully someone else can shed some additional light on what might be going on for you but I believe its not a B2 issue.

I can successfully get the Beatles clip in my cache and  it plays ok.

My steps are :

1. Make sure the  YouTube cache is enabled
Screenshot 2021-11-21 153708.jpg

2. Select the YouTube tab from the Web UI search panel and type in a search text
3. Select a clip from the search hits
4. Let the clip play (sometimes like you I have had failures when it just seems to buffer and not play)
5. After a while the green tick appears when the B2 has fully downloaded the clip
Screenshot 2021-11-21 153738.jpg

The downloaded  clips are stored on the B2 HDD. I run WinSCP to view the disc contents on my B2.
The B2 stores 3 files for each clip, the clip itself, a .jpg pic for display in the Web UI, and a .txt file holding the clip name

Screenshot 2021-11-21 154316.jpg

I downloaded a clip file to my PC and took a look at it in VLC.  It seems to be audio and and uncompressed

Screenshot 2021-11-21 161300.jpg

John

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 21, 2021, 12:03:21 PM11/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Steps 1 -3 are fine. I searched Rolling Stones and selected a song. I click on the song in the search box and it does not play. It then appears in the history box and the search box is blank. If I have the Brennan speakers selected, the cut shows up in the player but does not play because I do not have wired speakers.

bren.png

When I select a Sonos speaker (TV Room) the song disappears from the player and will not play. There are no green ticks on any of the songs in history even though a couple of them have been there for weeks.

bren01.png

I have a VPN, so I can select a different country which doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't believe my ISP blocks YouTube downloads, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thanks,

Shawn

PMB

Nov 23, 2021, 4:36:53 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Shawn,

Try clicking on the spy glass (centre panel) then click the video camera icon - do you see any YouTube clips listed?

Have you tried closing the current web UI page, clearing browsing data, opening a new browser page and entering the IP from the B2 manually?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 23, 2021, 6:09:28 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

When I opened the UI this morning the Stones song in the History box had a green tick. I clicked on it and it played. The other two didn't have a tick mark, so I clicked on the Beatles and it played. Did the same with the Bill Henderson tune and it now has a tick. I then cleared my browser data and all three songs are still there in History, all with tick marks.

But now the B2 is not seeing my Sonos speakers even after hitting the scan button several times. Since I don't have wired speakers, I don't know where the songs are playing, but the time bar does not move on any of them even though it says Source YouTube Playing.

Thanks,

Shawn

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2021, 8:18:26 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Shawn,

If I had to guess, assuming your B2 is connected by wifi, I would suspect issues with your house's wifi at the root of all your Sonos and YouTube problems.

Fred

Jeff. M.

Nov 23, 2021, 11:20:04 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Web capture_23-11-2021_161651_.jpeg
Hi Shawn, I have just found this in the main Brennan web site! Could be the cause of your problems, maybe you were lucky some played atall. Who knows.
Jeff.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 23, 2021, 12:29:33 PM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff,
For reasons unknown, I cannot scroll to the right to see all of your picture - no horizontal scroll bar.  Also the text is quite small and fuzzy.  It looks like that text may have come from the Latest Software page on the Brennan website.  Ah, I found it.  Here's what it says for those who might be having the same trouble reading it as I did.

"Sonos speakers do not play from Youtube so that icon is inactive if a Sonos speaker is selected."

Jeff. M.

Nov 23, 2021, 12:36:27 PM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Yup, that's the one Daniel, I pasted it as a picture, I'll pick just the text another time, Looks like Shawn is out of luck using sonos and you tube.

Shawn Rosvold

Nov 23, 2021, 4:23:36 PM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Well, that's a relief. I was worried that there was something drastically wrong. But disappointing as well. I wonder if playing YouTube through Sonos would be an easy thing to do in a future update.

So, I rebooted my router and the B2 now sees the Sonos speakers again. All is well, and the universe is unfolding as it should.

Once again, thanks for all your polite brilliance. You are all the best.

Shawn

Mark Fishman

Nov 23, 2021, 4:29:45 PM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
To get around the lateral-scroll issue, Daniel, you can right-click the image and pick "open image in another tab".

Daniel Taylor

Nov 23, 2021, 6:51:02 PM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Ah yes.  Right you are.