Standby

anthony....@gmail.com

May 15, 2021, 2:53:50 AM5/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Any views on whether it's better to leave on standby or switch off if you won't be using the unit for some time. At the moment I leave on standby but I worry this may gradually be wearing things out.

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 15, 2021, 5:23:06 AM5/15/21
to Brennan Forum
I know of many forum users that leave their B2's in standby. I tend to switch mine off because it is connected (electrically) to my old amplifier which does need to be powered off when not in use.
Of course also remember , if you have set you B2 in NAS mode, you would want to keep the NAS on your LAN 24/7 for other devices to access.

The Raspberry Pi computer, round which Brennans are now built is very robust, consumes very little power and is quite happy being left on permanently.

The only thing you need to do is set the front screen to go dark after a short period of inactivity. See the maintenance menu form the front panel display - "Screensaver -Screensaver settings for when B2 is in standby mode - 0 = screensaver off, 1-15 = display brightness - 1 = dim, 15 = bright, 16 = display off."

Fred

Graham Smout

May 15, 2021, 7:48:15 AM5/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Anthony - My B2  is left permanently on - unless I were to be away for long period of a more than a few days.  There is a school of thought that power cycling electronic decices on and off wears regularly them out more than leaving them on , and as Fred says, when in standby mode the B2 uses hardly and power, less than 1 watt I should think. ( does anyne know exactly?)

PMB

May 17, 2021, 3:06:23 AM5/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Anthony,

I power my B2 on and off most days. I usually do the 'saving' routine (press and hold the Play/Stop button) before powering off unless the B2 is already in standby (displaying the time and date).

Paul
Brennan Support.