Bluetooth listening to your music in other rooms

andrewd...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2020, 6:57:35 AM11/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Dear All,

I have had my Brennan B2 for over 4 years and am really pleased with it. I usually sit in our back room, where my Brennan is situated, listening to my music.

I have a relatively inexpensive Anker blue tooth speaker which will quite happily pair with my Brennan. I can listen to my music in an adjacent room but if I take the speaker to my kitchen, across the hall, the reception is very intermittent.

If a buy a more expensive speaker, say Bose, will this allow me to listen to my music further from the source (Brennan)? Should I buy a Sonos speaker? I have a smart speaker in my kitchen (OK Google) can I network this to my Brennan?

I'm particularly technically gifted. I have heard for example using google chrome but don't know how I would set this up???

Any easy to understand help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

John Lang Wilson

Nov 4, 2020, 10:05:54 AM11/4/20
to Brennan Forum
1) Make sure you are on the latest B2B software.

2) You may be able to position the Bluetooth dongle in a better position by attaching it to a USB extension cable.

3) I don't know, but doubt that a more expensive Bluetooth speaker will help you.  Experiment with your existing speaker for optimum placement.

4) Sonos works via your WiFi signal, it is independent of Bluetooth.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 4, 2020, 10:26:52 AM11/4/20
to Brennan Forum
There are Bluetooth extenders that we've read about here in the forum.  The B2 plugs in to the extender by either the analog line output or the digital Toslink output.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 4, 2020, 10:29:37 AM11/4/20
to Brennan Forum
There has been a lot of discussion about this in the forum.  Here's a thread that you might want to read:  https://groups.google.com/forum/?oldui=1#!searchin/brennanb2/Bluetooth$20extender|sort:date/brennanb2/u2d-mq0KTos/Kdgtl_bAAgAJ
And there are others, as well.

Eccles

Nov 4, 2020, 11:52:08 AM11/4/20
to Brennan Forum
If You do buy a Bluetooth extender make sure it's not Bluetooth5, as it's not compatible with the Brennan which uses Bluetooth 4.

PMB

Nov 5, 2020, 3:30:56 AM11/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

This is a Bluetooth range issue and your speaker is loosing the Bluetooth signal from the B2, causing the loss of sound. Other owners have said fitting the Bluetooth dongle onto a short (up to 1m) USB extension cable and repositioning it improves the range.

Others have invested in a 'long range' Bluetooth transmitter from the likes of Blitziwolf, Avantree, etc which connect to the B2 via it's optical SPDIF out and convert this to Bluetooth. Your speaker then connects to the transmitter not the B2.

Alternatively a Sonos speaker works over WiFi and should have better range - Martin has just released new software making it very easy and straight forward to send music from the B2 to Sonos speakers.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Chris Blythe

Nov 9, 2020, 6:58:36 AM11/9/20
to Brennan Forum
So in this case using the SPDIF out to connect to a Bluetooth 5 transmitter is OK.

Nick Hickson

Nov 10, 2020, 3:44:01 AM11/10/20
to Brennan Forum
BiB   I'm particularly technically gifted.

I presume you meant "not particularly technically gifted?"

PMB

Nov 10, 2020, 4:59:30 AM11/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

That will work OK - it's Bluetooth 5 dongles i.e. that plug into a USB port, that aren't compatible with the B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Nov 10, 2020, 5:02:09 AM11/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andrew D,

A Sonos speaker should give better results if your WiFi is good in the kitchen (and all areas you want to use the speaker) and with the new B2 software you can still use the web UI to pick what's played.

Paul
Brennan Support.