Tag update?

Mark Fishman

Aug 26, 2018, 10:12:46 AM8/26/18
to Brennan Forum
When using the web interface to change the artist, album, or track names, are the tags updated also? Since the purpose of the tags is so other players (e.g., Sonos) can display correct info, if the tags don't change with the file and folder names then they wouldn't do their job.

Tony

Aug 26, 2018, 2:35:16 PM8/26/18
to Brennan Forum
I'll make a bet that the answer to your question is "No".  You'll need to rerun the Tagging option in the Maintenance menu.

But is should be easy to test - I'll try it and see?   Unfortunately, it takes a long time (hours) to tag the 3500+ songs stored so far in my B2.

Tony

Aug 26, 2018, 5:30:13 PM8/26/18
to Brennan Forum
Okay - did some testing.

  1. Ripped a new CD from a local artist. Nothing in the CDDB database or cover art at Musicbrainz as expected.  Entered the artist name, album name, and track titles by hand.
  2. Let the B2 go to idle mode (i.e. not playing anything, OLED display off, Web UI closed) and waiting an hour or so to allow the B2 to convert the tracks from WAV to FLAC
  3. Examining the resulting FLAC tracks with EasyTag showed the artist, album, and song tags had the names I manually entered in step 1 (above)
  4. Used the web interface to rename one of the new tracks.  Pressed Scan in the web interface and waiting a few seconds for that to complete.
  5. Re-examining the renamed FLAC tracks with EasyTag showed the artist, album, and song tags still had the original name.  The manual changes made in the Web UI were not reflected in the tag data
  6. Used the B2 menus ( Settings -> Maintenance -> Tag Music ) to initiate a rescan of the complete song catalog on the B2.  This takes quite some time - well over an hour - to complete.
  7. Again re-examining the renamed FLAC tracks with EasyTag now showed the new track name in the appropriate tag.
So the answer to your question seems to be "No - editing a song title after the track has been converted from WAV to FLAC will not result in the tag values being updated.  You need to use the maintenance menu to reset the tags.

PMB

Sep 3, 2018, 3:24:51 AM9/3/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

I asked Martin about how 'Tag Music' (Settings > Maintenance > Tag Music) works on the B2 and here is his reply -

That's all as expected. Renaming and changing art does not update any tags automatically.

So you should run Tag Music from time to time to bring the tags up to date.

There are a couple of reasons for this behaviour.

1) If you were to rename an artist - say Various Artists to just Various then it could affect 1000's of tracks - and the nature of the tags means that often the entire music file has to be read and rewritten to change the tag. So it can only ever be done in the background you cant do it there and then.

2) When you do change tags they don't automatically show up in Sonos Music Library - it has to scan the Music files to extract the tags all over - using the Update function.

Paul
Brennan Support.