Connecting to same BSP50 speakers from B2 and JB7

lesli...@hotmail.com

Mar 13, 2021, 12:46:56 PM3/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Can I wire both my JB7 and my B2 into the same set of BSP50 speakers?
or do I have to run them through a switching device (which might be OK for a more modern B2 but not the much older JB7?

(for the benefit of doubt...I wouldn't want to use the two devices at the same time, of course!). Thanks, Leslie

JAC

Mar 13, 2021, 1:30:54 PM3/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi

You can't simply wire them both in parallel.

You need a loudspeaker switch.  This switch must be a type which switches both "red" and "black" connections.  One which simply commons up the "black" connections will not suit the B2 which has a bridge type amplifier.

lesli...@hotmail.com

Mar 13, 2021, 4:22:08 PM3/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you. I suspected as much (switching) but not the technical detail. I will look around and consider this option, as well as moving the JB7 to another room with another set of speakers.

PMB

Mar 15, 2021, 3:53:16 AM3/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie,

The other problem is most speaker switch boxes are expecting two sets of speakers and one amplifier - you are trying to connect two amplifiers to one speaker.

Perhaps feed the B2 through the JB7 via the Line Out to Line In...

Paul
Brennan Support.

lesli...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2021, 4:58:51 PM3/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,
Thanks for adding to this thread. After researching the options, I found and bought a Beresford TC-7210 via ebay
It is a bit pricey for what it is (an unpowered mechanical switch), but a) it was available (lots of others aren't); b) it seems well constructed and finished, and c) it was from a rated seller via a reliable platform and credit card purchase (unlike other far eastern websites...) .
I should be able to connect both the JB7 and the B2 with my BSP50's via this switch box.
Regards,
Leslie

PMB

Mar 16, 2021, 4:13:00 AM3/16/21