2TB HD or SSD upgrade

Jim Wade

Oct 15, 2021, 7:33:01 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I'm not a very techy person, but happy to have a go at upgrading my B2 HD from 500G to 2TB, as it's full.  I would really appreciate some guidance on the sort of replacement drive I should use ....  a link to a product Amazon would be even better!  HD, SSD, hybrid ....?
Many thanks,
Jim

Daniel Taylor

Oct 15, 2021, 7:42:04 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
I have done the same thing.  This is the one that I bought:  Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 2.5".  So far all is well.  Personally, I've had much better luck with Seagate than Western Digital,  All four of the WD drives I've had have crashed.  YMMV.

For a B2 that is not moved around much, or ever, HDD should be fine.  I don't think there is any need for SSD in a B2, but I know others have a different opinion.  The increased speed of SSD cannot be taken advantage of when playing music, as the music plays much slower than the speed of HDD.  I'm sure others will weigh in here with additional points of view.

Davywhizz

Oct 15, 2021, 10:32:07 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
I understand the point about not needing faster operating speeds for music, but anything without moving parts ought to reduce vibrations, and maybe heat, both good results in any hifi setting. I'm close to needing more space on my B2 and will definitely try a SSD.

No idea if this is relevant to the B2, but the HDD in my laptop died not long ago and was replaced with a SSD. I didn't notice any big difference in running programs, but it boots up so much faster and seems quieter.

PMB

Oct 18, 2021, 7:49:23 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim,

Have a look at this document - link - written by another B2 owner, who upgraded his HDD.

Paul
Brennan Support.