Playback Noise

George Grella

Nov 15, 2021, 4:48:11 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
I have a Brennan B2 2TB, all updated as of November 15. I'm having a bad problem with noise on playback.

I'm playing back via the optical out, and have played it through my amp/stereo system, and also via headphone plugged into the optical out—there is noise in each instance.

The noise comes at random moments on the same tracks, and comes via playback from every source: HDD, CD in the drive, internet radio. Playing the same track more than once means that the noise happens at different time stamps at each play. In other words, the noise is not an inherent part of the digital track, and I've confirmed this by ripping CDs on my computer and then loading the .wav files into the Brennan via USB. Files that play without noise on the computer play with noise on the Brennan.

The noise comes in various forms, including pops, stabs of static, brief whistling sounds. I put Kid A in the CD drive and played from there through my stereo, and the opening electric piano was distorted and crunchy, but pristine when I play the same CD on my component CD player. Internet radio playback is glitchy and full of skips.

Again, this is all coming out of the optical out jack, and the digital files in question, or CD, have no inherent noise problems when played from other devices. This seems to me to be a hardware failure, but am looking for any insight/tips on other things to possibly eliminate and pin it down exactly.

In advance, along with testing the same tracks on multiple devices and using more than one audio device, I've scanned the drive, turned off/on, all the usual stuff. All to no effect.

Best,

-gg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2021, 5:57:56 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi gg,

You say you are using optical output. Please confirm where the DAC is located is it a seperate unit or part of the hifi?
Also as a first step I would reccomend a trying a different optical cable.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Nov 15, 2021, 8:03:31 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
George has said that the random noises occur with both the optical output and with headphones.  It sounds like you've done your homework in trying to figure out and possible isolate the problem.  If it were me, I'd flash a new SD card, just to rule that out.  But I agree that it sounds like a hardware problem.

Have you connected to the B2 as NAS (Network Attached Storage)?  I wonder if you can play songs from the hardware using an app that is external to the B2.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2021, 8:34:29 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
There was the possibility that the headphones were plugged into an external DAC. I felt I did not have a clear picture of the setup. 🙂
Fred.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 15, 2021, 8:44:05 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
No criticism meant - I was just trying to clarify.  :o)

Daniel Taylor

Nov 15, 2021, 8:53:46 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
This is a problem that I'd really like to get to the root of.  We've read of similar problems before, but I don't have a likely fix registered in my head.

In this case, the problem is present at both an analog output and a digital output.  So the problem is upstream from that.  As I think of possibilities of where the problem might be getting injected, one place could be a problem reading the HDD.  So trying to play songs over NAS would not necessarily rule that out, but it might point to a problem downstream of the point of reading the HDD.  If the songs played over NAS exhibit the same problem, then we're in the right area.  It could be the reading process or the HDD itself.

I'm shutting down for the night.  I'll be interested in what comes up tomorrow.

Davywhizz

Nov 16, 2021, 4:22:57 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
George, do you have the graphic equaliser engaged? It doesn't sound like an equaliser problem (you'd be more likely to get consistent hiss and/or distortion, depending on the settings), but it's worth asking, as it's one feature of the B2 that affects all the sources you mention and on both analogue and digital outputs.

If the equaliser is on, try switching it off and see if anything happens to the issues you describe. Conversely, if it's set to off, try toggling it on and off again: there's another recent thread on here that describes that as curing a similar issue, though only temporarily.

PMB

Nov 16, 2021, 4:39:29 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi George,

I would check the graphic EQ if off, as Davywhizz suggests first. Open the web UI and click on the EQ tab -
EQ tab.jpg
EQ enable button.jpg
Make sure the EQ is not enabled as shown in the screen shot.

If it's not that I think something in the digital processing (the Raspberry Pi, CODEC, etc) is to blame.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 4:42:46 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Also do you have any devices plugged into the B2's USB ports and are you using Ethernet or WiFi to connect your B2.
Fred

George Grella

Nov 16, 2021, 11:28:58 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I do not have a NAS, so I can't try this test, thanks

George Grella

Nov 16, 2021, 11:29:50 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Paul, I've tried playback with EQ Disabled, Enabled, Disabled again, show no effect, noise still keeps coming either way

-gg

George Grella

Nov 16, 2021, 11:31:31 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I have the WiFi and Bluetooth dongles plugged into the USB ports, that's it. Use WiFi to connect to B2, not Ethernet.

Again, though, if I put a CD into the B2 and play from there, I get noise. That seems to me to eliminate all possible connection and HDD issues and confine it to the audio output.

-gg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 12:36:04 PM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Try removing the Wifi an bluetooth dongles ( you will have to drive the B2 from the remote or front for this test) and see if the problem
Is still there without them. If it is not try it with just the wifi dongle next.

Fred

George Grella

Nov 16, 2021, 5:01:46 PM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I removed both dongles, and when I play back without either of them in, there is still a noice problem. It takes longer for it to first appear, but it still happens.

When I plug in the WiFi dongle, the noise problem starts earlier.

When I plug in the bluetooth dongle, the B2 freezes, and when I turn it off and on with the bluetooth dongle in, it doesn't boot up the operating system,

So, still the original problem and now a new one

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 7:31:36 PM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the feedback.I

This problem is either hardware or corrupted software. We need to eliminate the latter.

So do you think you could re flash your SD Card ? We can guide you through this!
By the way how old is your unit?

Fred.

PMB

Nov 17, 2021, 3:34:54 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi George,

Thanks for trying all of the suggestions. Please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with a brief description of the problem and we will get it sorted for you.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Graham Stephen

Nov 17, 2021, 5:24:02 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
I had a similar sounding problem with a BB1. Random glitches, pops etc. After a lot of testing options, with lots of help from the support guys,  (who even a replaced the first unit),  I worked out that it was somehow related to Librespot. I unloaded that and the noises vanished.
Graham

JFBUK

Nov 17, 2021, 6:28:52 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi George,

just to be clear.

When you have both dongles removed you are getting a clear sound via optical and headphones and no interference ?

John

Daniel Taylor

Nov 17, 2021, 7:11:09 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
George said
"I removed both dongles, and when I play back without either of them in, there is still a noice problem. It takes longer for it to first appear, but it still happens."

He has pretty much eliminated accessing the HDD as a problem, because he still gets the noise when playing a CD.  So at this point, I think it's worth a try to reflash the SD card, or try a new one.

JFBUK

Nov 17, 2021, 7:20:00 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum

I read "without either of them" as possibly one of them still being connected so that's why I asked the question.

John

Daniel Taylor

Nov 17, 2021, 7:21:48 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Yeah.  George can you please clarify?

George Grella

Nov 17, 2021, 7:59:56 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum

Playback from all audio sources and in every configuration of optical out/USB ports produces noise

George Grella

Nov 17, 2021, 10:03:56 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
I ordered this B2 October 8, so it can't be that old

What does reflashing the SD card accomplish?

-gg

Daniel Taylor

Nov 17, 2021, 10:27:13 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Reflashing the SD card completely rewrites all the software on the card.  That will repair it if any part of it has become corrupted.  Sometimes the card itself has gone bad and needs to be replaced.  That's unlikely with a card that is new with the B2, but still possible.  Most SD cards will go bad eventually.  But the first thing would be to reflash the card you have.  Instructions are on the Brennan website on the Techy Stuff page, near the top of the left column where it says New SD Card.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2021, 10:35:41 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi George

As you B2 is new, it will still be under guarantee, this means Brennan will sort you out. Paul from Brennan (above) has already told you to email him off line, I suggest you do this.

From the basis of the facts that you have told us we (other Brennan users/owners on this forum) believe there is an issue with your B2 Unit.
This issue could be caused by a hardware problem - which would require your unit to be repaired/replaced - or possibly a software issue ----
The software for the B2 is stored on an SD Card  (a separate disk from the HDD where the Music is held). It is possible that wither in the writing of this disk or as a result of a problem with the disk itself, the operating instructions for
the B2 have a small glitch which while not catastrophic is causing a problem.
Thus if a NEW SD Card were to be placed in your B2 and the problem persisted we would know it was a hardware issue. However if the problem resolved we would know that it was a software issue.

The SD Card (which is user removable)  is to be found inside you unit as shown here
see
a.JPG

Using the instructions provided here (and on the Forum) it is relatively easy to overwrite/rewrite/write a copy of the B2's operating software onto an SD Card and place it back into the unit.

As you machine is new I suspect Brennan will send you a replacement SD Card to try which you can install as described above.

However the beauty of owning a Brennan is that Brennan issue (for Free) updates/upgrades to this Operating Software which frequently makes the Brennan B2 unit more functional and provides new features. My unit was purchased in 2016/7 and while it may not have an on/off switch at the back and its SD Card sticks out of the side of the unit, functionally it will do today just what you new unit will do.
Hope this explanation helps.

Fred

George Grella

Nov 17, 2021, 11:16:16 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Since this requires me to purchase an adapter I don't currently own just to possibly eliminate one possible cause of this issue, I'm going to wait until I hear back from Brennan before I proceed any further.

-gg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2021, 11:28:41 AM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
That's reasonable, Brennan will sort you out 🙂

Fred

PMB

Nov 18, 2021, 4:40:17 AM11/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi George,

Have you emailed us yet?

Paul
Brennan Support.

George Grella

Nov 18, 2021, 8:29:00 AM11/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, I see your response so we're in communications

Thanks

-gg