BB1 compression

Gordon Risius

Feb 3, 2021, 8:38:03 AM2/3/21
to Brennan Forum
As a new BB1 owner, I have now used 29.24GB of my 29.30GB capacity loading 52 albums with 660 tracks (as well as a few YouTube videos) and now cannot rip any more CDs.  I think the solution is to compress the files, but cannot find an option to do so in Maintenance - Advanced.   Help, please!

Gordon Risius

Peter Lowham

Feb 3, 2021, 9:05:44 AM2/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gordon,

You will find the compressions in 'Main Menu' --> 'Settings & Tools' --> 'Tools' - 'Compress WAV to mp3'   (or other compression options)

If you compress WAV to mp3, your 660 tracks should reduce to about 3GB.
If you compress WAV to flac, it will reduce to about 13.5GB

Regards,
Peter.

Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Feb 3, 2021, 6:09:42 PM2/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

With regard to Gordon's post above, the BB1 Menu Summary listing is correct, but the web page on 'How to Load Music into BB1' needs to be corrected to match the Menu Summary.

  • You can stop the rip by holding the stop button.
  • If you repeat the rip it will start again and overwrite any existing tracks.
  • Turn off the Brennan before removing the CD mechanism.
  • Some drives require more power than others so you may need batteries AND power from the AC adaptor to provide sufficient power.
  • If your drive requires even more power you will need a powered USB hub.
  • Music is ripped to WAV files. These are large and uncompressed and will use up the Brennan memory pretty quickly.
  • You can compress these files using Settings->Maintenance-Compress.   (This should be 'Main Menu' --> 'Settings & Tools' --> 'Tools' and select appropriate option)
  • You cannot play music while compressing so you might want to do it overnight.
  • You can interrupt compression and resume.
Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Feb 4, 2021, 4:05:41 AM2/4/21