What app will play flac files on PC?

Colin Parkinson

Dec 30, 2018, 12:31:52 PM12/30/18
to Brennan Forum
What reliable app will play flac files on the computer?

Thanks

Colin

Daniel Taylor

Dec 30, 2018, 1:16:30 PM12/30/18
to Brennan Forum
I just double-click on them and they play automatically in Windows Media Player.  (I'm on Windows 7.)  I'd expect it to work just as easily on a Mac, but I don't have any experience with those.  So I know Windows Media Player will play them, and so will VLC, another popular media player.  Now that I think about it, these daysany media playing program should be able to handle a FLAC file.  If not, there's probably a downloadable add-on that will enable it.

Colin Parkinson

Dec 30, 2018, 1:24:53 PM12/30/18
to Brennan Forum
We are on Win8. I will check out Media Player

Thanks Dan

Chris A

Dec 30, 2018, 3:13:44 PM12/30/18
to Brennan Forum
I am using Windows 10 but I agree - Windows Media Player works fine with FLAC.

Colin Parkinson

Dec 31, 2018, 11:56:14 AM12/31/18
to Brennan Forum
So I downloaded VLC. Yes it plays the music from the B2, but does not display Album or artist name . So that is no use!!

But just to make it worse, it has now changed all the flac files to vlc media player files. That is all the files on the B2!!!

I am not happy. How do I change them all back to flac?

colin
Message has been deleted

No1Mellenhead

Dec 31, 2018, 12:15:48 PM12/31/18
to Brennan Forum
Windows 10 Groove Music works for me.

John Lang Wilson

Dec 31, 2018, 12:55:55 PM12/31/18
to Brennan Forum
That's unlikely Colin.  I suspect it's just windows saying that all files ending in flac  eg song.flac are VLC files, because it only knows of VLC to play them.

I'd get hold of  Windows Media Player, which is free,  and try that.

MD0104

Dec 31, 2018, 10:53:50 PM12/31/18
to Brennan Forum
I use Winamp.  It plays flac files,has an equalizer, displays graphics and songs and their length.  Check it out.

Sian M

Jan 1, 2019, 5:45:53 AM1/1/19
to Brennan Forum
Foobar 2000 for me. Works well, and it can be used to burn CDs and convert to other formats as well.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 1, 2019, 1:31:34 PM1/1/19
to Brennan Forum
Colin,
If you're unhappy with VLC, it can be uninstalled via the Control Panel (if you're on Windows, I'm sure there's a similar way to do it on a Mac).  After the uninstall, FLAC files will no longer be associated with VLC.