Better music player on Roku for Brennan DLNA/NAS access?

Warren Knauer

Mar 21, 2021, 5:13:00 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello all,  I am seeking help from anyone knowledgeable, especially anyone that would own both a B2 and a Roku media player.

Baseline Info
I am playing music from my Brennan B2 in the following ways:
1) using Brennan optical out directly into into my Yamaha
>>> a) controlling using the Brennan iOS app
>>> b) controlling using the web interface from phone and several computers
>>> c) controlling using the Brennan remote or my Logitech Harmony One remote whcih sends the same IR signals to the B2
2) starting this weekend, I have just succeeded using Roku Media Player from my Roku Ultra streamer which is HDMI'd into the same Yamaha A/V receiver
3) rarely I am also using other software on a PC or Mac to play music from the B2

I can't say I'm completely satisfied with any of these as they all seem to have "quirks" at best, or limitations.  For this message, let's focus on Roku access.  Roku Media Player (RMP) works & provides a user interface on my TV but RMP chief deficiencies seem to be:
  • its apparent lack of means to jump ahead/bypass tracks when desired during album playback,
  • its apparent inability to use the Brennan's music playlists or create its own playlists (which may not be usable externally to the Brennan, its app & web access), and
  • its indifference to the album art in the Brennan's folders (this may be due to Brennan's filename convention?).
I am most frustrated by the RMP absence of a Next/Skip track feature.  I haven't tried creating playlist via other means then dropping them into the Brennan using its NAS access--nor have I experimented with album art.

Thank you in advance for any help.  I will report back if I learn anything helpful!
Regards,
Warren

Daniel Taylor

Mar 21, 2021, 8:09:53 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
It might help us to help you if you would explain a little more about how the Roku interfaces with the B2.  I'm at a loss here, because I'm not aware of any way for them to interface.  Is the RMP app able to play music from a NAS disk?

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2021, 8:33:03 PM3/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Warren,

I hope you are also aware that the B2 also delivers a DLNA server (to the B2's music) on your LAN.
Advanced Menu (Get DLNA -Loads the experimental DLNA software).
Maintenance Menu (DLNA - Turn DLNA On/Off).

Fred

Warren Knauer

Mar 22, 2021, 2:32:23 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes--sorry, I tried to be complete but was not--the Roku Media Player relies on DLNA within my wired ethernet to interact with the B2. It works but needs to be improved on.  That's why I'm hoping someone aside from me has used a Roku to playback files on the Brennan. A player without means to skip to next track is not so great.
Thanks,
Warren

Daniel Taylor

Mar 22, 2021, 6:20:45 AM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
When some app other than the B2 is in control of what is playing via DLNA, how is the Next or Previous track determined?  If there were a standard Next command to be sent, then the B2, when receiving the Next command, would determine the Next track.  Is there such a command?  Does the RMP have the capability to send that command?  If not, then I'd guess the problem is with the RMP.  But if it can and does send a Next command, then the focus shifts to the B2.

Warren Knauer

Mar 22, 2021, 12:14:52 PM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Daniel, Thanks for a very reasonable question.  I had selected what to play by picking a specific album to play, not individual track.  So my assumption was that the player (RMP) should be able to control track navigation within the context of that selected album.
Additionally--I did't see anything that suggested RMP was playlist-aware--nothing to indicate it could have its own local playlists nor was there anything to suggest it could "see" B2 playlists or trigger playback/control using a B2 playlist.

I have no prior experience in the DLNA realm so my assumption(s) for communication & control between client & server may be ridiculous!
If I have time this evening, I will explore VLC behavior in a similar situation to add to my education...

Fred--thank you for your interest in my posts00much appreciated.
Cheers,
Warren

Warren Knauer

Mar 23, 2021, 2:23:31 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
I have found means to skip tracks using Roku Media Player, partial joy achieved. So, I wil forge onward to solve the Playlist challenge, too. Starting that on a separate Post as I have a lot to say on the subject.

Thanks all !