Suitable speakers for a B2

Duncan Shea-Simonds

Feb 1, 2022, 6:29:50 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello...

I am currently drawing up a spec for a system based around a B2.

I have 1000's of CDs that I'd love to have "at my fingertips" but also want a high quality sound with volume sufficient for parties etc. But I'm more about quality sound to be honest.

Now... I'm aware that the B2 has its own internal amp... but would it have the guts to drive a reasonable set of stand mounts? Something like the Q Acoustic 3020i?

https://www.qacoustics.com/collections/bookshelf-speakers/products/3020i-bookshelf-speaker-pair

These are rated 6 ohm but require 25w-75w.... so I'm wondering if the B2 might be a little under powered?

So do I go smaller speakers? More shelf mount.... but I do still want good bass response, so that might not be the best option.

Or should I factor in a separate amp?

Or maybe active speakers?

Any thoughts on speakers that will pair well with the B2... in the £150-£300 range?

Thanks in advance.

Duncan

Daniel Taylor

Feb 1, 2022, 6:41:03 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,
In my opinion, the B2's internal amp is under powered for your situation, especially in the bass.  There are a couple of ways you could go.  One would be to get an external DAC/amp to use with your Q Acoustics speakers.  Another would be to get some self-powered speakers.  If they had their own internal DAC fine, otherwise you'd need an external DAC.  Be advised that the B2 has only optical Toslink and HDMI as digital connection options - the USB ports do not send audio information.

Duncan Shea-Simonds

Feb 1, 2022, 6:50:46 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel.... This was my gut feeling! I have a few older amps I could play around with... but should probably factor in a new amp at some point then!

JFBUK

Feb 1, 2022, 6:51:42 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

To add to Daniel's comments.
Do you have an existing amp that drives your Q Acoustics happily and to your satisfaction ?
If so then a DAC with optical input and RCA outputs fed to the amp would be an option and builds on your existing investment.

John

Duncan Shea-Simonds

Feb 1, 2022, 7:41:08 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John.... For clarity, I am still very much in the research / specification stage. I don't have the B2 or the speakers yet.

Just so I am clear... the B2 doesn't have analogue outputs that can go straight to an amp right? Like a CD player typically would?

So I'll need a DAC somewhere? Either in the amp... or as a separate? Or in powered speakers if I went that route.

I do have an old amp (with optical and HDMI inputs and an integrated DAC)....  so I guess I could purchase the B2 + speakers, have a play and then go from there?

Cheers

Duncan

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2022, 7:48:18 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan,

No you are incorrect in this statement
"Just so I am clear... the B2 doesn't have analogue outputs that can go straight to an amp right? Like a CD player typically would?"
The B2 DOES have just such an output.
a.JPG
Fred

Duncan Shea-Simonds

Feb 1, 2022, 8:07:06 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Ok....   So now I'm starting to understand!

This output could go to an external amp (without the need for a DAC).... converting from the 3.5mm jack to dual RCA maybe?

Or I could use the same output and a TOSLink (optical) cable to connect to a DAC + Amp if I chose to go that way?

Regards

Duncan

Daniel Taylor

Feb 1, 2022, 8:07:57 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
I did not mean to imply that you had to have a DAC.  It's just that an external DAC will give you better sound.  You could get the B2 and try its analog output, and add a DAC later, or not.

Duncan Shea-Simonds

Feb 1, 2022, 8:42:47 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Gotcha..... thanks very much  :)

JFBUK

Feb 1, 2022, 9:33:58 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Duncan

per your previous post

This output could go to an external amp (without the need for a DAC).... converting from the 3.5mm jack to dual RCA maybe?

Yes this will work but better is (at least in my view) ...

Or I could use the same output and a TOSLink (optical) cable to connect to a DAC + Amp if I chose to go that way?

If your amp supports optical input and has a better sounding DAC than the B2's

A lot of us find that using an external DAC (standalone or integrated into an amp/receiver) gives a better sound.

I think the advice is take it in stages, using what you have already have and must buy and then upgrade the older components if you need to.

John

Duncan Shea-Simonds

Feb 1, 2022, 9:42:56 AM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
That sound like sensible advice John... many thanks for the clarifications.