NAS and Chromecast audio

anthony....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2020, 10:39:55 AM10/6/20
to Brennan Forum
I have successfully connected my b2 to my home network via NAS. I would now like to play music from the B2 to a Chromecast audio-connected speaker. Any ideas as to how I could do this please? I'd prefer via android phone but via laptop would be ok.

Mike W

Oct 6, 2020, 11:59:04 AM10/6/20
to Brennan Forum

PMB

Oct 7, 2020, 4:00:43 AM10/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Anthony,

Streaming audio over WiFi is not a B2 function so I don't think this is possible but someone may correct me.

Paul
Brennan Support.

anthony....@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2020, 11:13:46 AM10/8/20
to Brennan Forum
I've managed to access the B2 from my laptop via NAS on my home network but the problem is then casting to Chromecast Audio - does anyone know of a music player app that will play local files but has the facility to connect to Chromecast Audio?

Mike W

Oct 8, 2020, 12:10:39 PM10/8/20
to Brennan Forum

I have a Galaxy Note 8 and have used the X-plore file browser app to connect to the B2, play any folder you like and then use Smart View from the phone pull down menu to stream to the Chromecast on my tv.

Works ok for me when I need music in my remote office.

Regards
Mike

Mike W

Oct 8, 2020, 12:28:19 PM10/8/20
to Brennan Forum

I just tried the Samba music player which works ok, the same as the X-plore file browser but it doesn't remember the b2 login credentials so you have to enter them in manually each time you want to access the music.

Plays flac and mp3 fine

Mike

David Richards

Oct 8, 2020, 12:48:06 PM10/8/20
to Brennan Forum
The Chrome browser has the ability to cast audio to a speaker. Just select a new tab and then the menu at top-right (Three vertical dots). On the menu you will find Cast. Select the source as file and open the file from your B2. I have just tried this and successfully cast to a Google Home Mini.

DR.

osro...@yahoo.com

Oct 8, 2020, 12:59:23 PM10/8/20
to Brennan Forum
I have VLC media player installed on my Amazon Firestick and it will play the music on the B2 via NAS over the WiFi.

David Richards

Oct 8, 2020, 1:02:37 PM10/8/20
to Brennan Forum
VLC also works on my Android phone, plus it's free.

DR.

anthony....@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2020, 7:33:52 AM10/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Mike W - this works a treat.

Incidentally, with Samba, once you access the B2 music file, if you click the menu (3 vertical dots top right hand corner) it gives the option to add the folder to your collection. If you do this it can then be accessed from the Samba main menu under music sources rather than browse network devices, and you don't need to enter sign in details.

Mike W

Oct 12, 2020, 9:41:33 AM10/12/20
to Brennan Forum

Cheers Anthony, great that you've got a solution that works for you. Thanks for the Samba info....

Regards
Mike

J Murdoch

Oct 12, 2020, 11:03:36 AM10/12/20
to Brennan Forum
just installed Samba, pity you cannot cast directly from the app, you still have to go to google home app! Shows promise though, now I just need to add 100s of folders to my collection!

anthony....@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2020, 11:50:57 AM10/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Actually you only need to add the main "music" file in the B2 and that includes all the sub-folders. Hope that helps

J Murdoch

Oct 12, 2020, 12:22:22 PM10/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Anthony, will give it a go!

J Murdoch

Oct 13, 2020, 7:32:50 AM10/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Anthony, this worked a treat, now have just the one file, Thanks. Jeff.