SUCCESS! Sonos Connect connected !

Peter Howarth

Feb 16, 2022, 6:19:38 AM2/16/22
to Brennan Forum
A couple of weeks ago I asked if the B2 could send a signal to an old Sonos Connect ZP90.  This is a device that I think Sonos produced before they started making speakers, and the intention was to provide a way of linking two hi-fi components/systems wirelessly through the internet rather than through bluetooth (which has its range limitations).

Essentially you would take, for example, a cd player and then link it to a transmitter box that sent the digital signal to a receiver box (the Connect) which then input the signal to your hi-fi system, allowing you to play music through the best-quality equipment you had.

Subsequently Sonos then started to produce what they now sell, which is essentially a receiver plus an amplifier plus a speaker all in the one box.  They do still produce variations of the Connect, some of which have an amplifier, and these cost £200+ .

Looking at the original Sonos method, the B2 now acts as a transmitter to Sonos speakers, and I thought it might do the same to a Connect.  I bought a ZP90 online for less than £30 and sure enough I have now managed to get it playing from the B2 through my upstairs hi-fi system (d/a converter, amplifier, speakers) to provide a much better quality sound than a Sonos speaker.

I had ethernet cabling installed around the house when I had it rewired, and the B2 and Connect both need to be linked by ethernet.  I tried to get an external ethernet connection through usb (which the website says you can now do) but when this was not successful I just fitted the connection internally.  I do not know if it's possible to link the B2 and Connect by wi-fi, or by sending an internet signal through the house electricity lines, but I can confirm that an ethernet connection does work.

Peter

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2022, 7:45:59 AM2/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Well done and thanks for the feedback I am sure others coming to the forum will find your experimentation useful. You will now be our Sonos Connect ZP90 guru :-))

Fred

John Grimoldy

Feb 16, 2022, 10:29:45 PM2/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Awesome, Peter!  And at a great price too!