Hyphens between track number and name, yes or no?

Michael Morrison

Aug 7, 2021, 9:12:04 AM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I'm going through all my files using NAS and doing some housekeeping. Some files are named with hyphens and some not and I would like to make everything uniform.

So yeah, which is the preferred format - does it matter even?

01 Drive My Car

or

01 - Drive My Car

Thanks,

Michael

Daniel Taylor

Aug 7, 2021, 9:45:49 AM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hyphens are allowed, but not necessary.
I name my tracks like this "01 The Beatles - Drive My Car"
Others do it like this:  "01 - The Beatles - Drive My Car"
It's totally personal preference.  It makes no difference to the B2.
However, you do need the track number, so the B2 will play the tracks of an album in order.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 7, 2021, 9:46:47 AM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Oh, and the artist name is not required in the track name.

Peter Lowham

Aug 7, 2021, 9:52:09 AM8/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,

It's a matter of personal preference, and I use '01 - Drive My Car' but it's just that I prefer this look for presentation.

One advantage of using '01 Drive My Car' is that it is the Brennan default format, so when you rip your CDs you won't need to do any editing of the track names.  I get around this by using 'dBpoweramp' which is a PC application and which I have set up to to my naming format automatically after the ripping and compression is complete.

Regards
Peter.

Michael Morrison

Aug 7, 2021, 1:51:50 PM8/7/21