Recording from internet radio

Bob Fishleigh

Dec 14, 2021, 4:57:56 PM12/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Having heard (in a recent conversation) about the facility to record from internet radio, via Vtuner, I thought I would give it a go.
All went well until the recording reached 60.00.minutes. Then, just like Cinderella at midnight, everything ground to a halt. End. Finito. The recording got saved OK, all 60 minutes of it.
Question is - why is there a time limit of one hour? Can the limit be changed?
It would be a shame if this process is limited in this way. I have a 2GB machine so I have oodles of room.
I need a Fairy Godmother, not an ugly sister.
Any answers?
Bob.

JFBUK

Dec 14, 2021, 5:16:20 PM12/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,
When Martin Brennan announced this functionality he did say that it would initially be limited  to 60 minutes.
Previous user posts on this have shown strong demand for this constraint being upped so I’m guessing it will be in future software releases.
Paul @ Brennan may have more info which he can post.

John

Bob Fishleigh

Dec 14, 2021, 5:53:56 PM12/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John. Would be good if it was soon in coming. Might lift us all out of this Virus gloom.
By the way, my post should have read 2TB. Just testing!
Bob.

PMB

Dec 15, 2021, 3:31:32 AM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,

I have put in a request for longer recording time.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Bob Fishleigh

Dec 15, 2021, 4:16:17 AM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul.
Bob.

Brennan Support

Dec 15, 2021, 6:07:19 AM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Bob
Martin (Fairy Godmother) Brennan here.
I just added a quick way to extend the record time. Just hit the record button again and it will add 30 minutes for each press.
It displays the limit after the current recording time.
You will have to pick up the code from the experimental section on the Latest Software page
Martin

Mark Fishman

Dec 15, 2021, 4:39:24 PM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Just a reminder to folks using the recording function -- I think the existing recording behavior is to save the file as WAV at full CD resolution, i.e., 16-bit words, 44.1ksps. At that resolution, you'll have a 2GB file in a little over 3 hours. The B2 drive is formatted as FAT32, which has a file-size limit of 4GB. The WAV format itself is also limited to a maximum 4GB file size.
Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Dec 15, 2021, 5:00:05 PM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Further to Mark's information regarding the internet radio recording function, I have just recorded two straight hours of BBC Radio4.  The WAV file was 1.3GB in size.  However, the B2 compressed this file automatically as I have 'FLAC' compression selected, and the WAV file was replaced with a FLAC file of 345MB.

The compression took about 30 minutes to complete so it seems that 1 hour of recording will require about 15 mins to compress to FLAC.

This is in line with the compression of a ripped CD so that is looking good.

Regards,
Peter.

Bob Fishleigh

Dec 16, 2021, 4:04:25 PM12/16/21
to Brennan Forum

Thanks  everyone for your help on this one. Have now got it sussed and have set it up. All I need now is to sort out what to record!
Bob.