New B2 software

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 5:23:09 PM9/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Could I ask, does the latest release of the B2 version of the Brennan software also address the Bluetooth issues the B2B software addressed or is Bluetooth still a differentiating feature?

Fred

Peter Lowham

Sep 22, 2021, 5:54:56 PM9/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

The answer is that the B2 version of Bluetooth will not be carried across into the B2B version so the Bluetooth is still a differentiating feature.  The reason is that the Bluetooth stack is entirely dependant on the underlying version of GNU/Linux that the Brennan software is running on.

The B2 software version runs on GNU/Linux O/S version 3.12.28.  That runs Bluetooth V3.
The B2B software version runs on GNU/Linux O/S version 4.9.23.  That runs Bluetooth V4.

The Bluetooth software went from V3 to V4 between these two GNU/Linux releases, resulting in a major improvement in functionality.

So the 'B2 20th September 2021' release will have all of the improvements of the B2B release (such as the Sonos functionality additions) BUT will not have the Bluetooth connectivity improvements (which are very significant).

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 8:06:20 PM9/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Peter for clarifying this.

Paul, in light of this I think that the "Latest Software" rubric on the Brennan web pages should make this point clear on the 17th Sept software announcement, as it stands one could believe that B2 and B2B are equivalent in functionality.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 8:07:45 PM9/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Sorry the 20th September not 17th.

PMB

Sep 23, 2021, 5:11:38 AM9/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred.w,

Good suggestion, I'll sort that.

I will also need to point out that the B2 version software cannot support the USB-Ethernet adapter either.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2021, 7:29:59 AM9/23/21
to Brennan Forum
OK Paul

That's a second point of differentiation ! :)

Could I suggest that rather than losing this information in the text relating to a particular update (date of update level), a note is added to the top explaining the difference between B2 and B2B (and why you cant just Web Upgrade to change between them and what to do - buy or "flash" if you want to change) - and that your B2 will work with either version. Also what version you will get if you order an SD Card from Brennan.

Could I also suggest that a link to the "flash" it yourself file is made here too.

Fred

PMB

Sep 24, 2021, 4:12:55 AM9/24/21
to Brennan Forum