HDD Read Only

Scott Miller

Jun 27, 2021, 5:34:48 PM6/27/21
to Brennan Forum
I am a new member to the forum. I bought by B2 this winter and have loaded 881 CD's using a remote CD player. Then out of nowhere I got an HDD is read only error message and I am dead in the water. First of all, I am really disappointed that a unit I have had less than 5 months is already malfunctioning to this degree. But most important, I want to be able to rescue the CD's I've already loaded and, hopefully, get the B2 back to where I can actually use it.

Thanks for any info or input.

Scott

Daniel Taylor

Jun 27, 2021, 8:44:18 PM6/27/21
to Brennan Forum
This is most likely not a malfunction, but rather an inconvenient way for the unit to try to protect itself from encountering a bad track - either reading it or writing it.  Did this happen soon after you ripped a new CD?  It could be that one of the tracks was somehow corrupted.

Power the unit down in the proper way:  press and hold the STOP button until the word SAVING appears on the display, wait until the clock reappears, then turn off the power.  Wait 30 seoncds.  Then power up again and wait for the unit to boot up.  Has the HDD Read Only message gone away?  If not, run the Use HDD command (Maintenance menu).  Sometimes you have to do this two or three times before it works.

Please let us know how that goes for you.

Peter Lowham

Jun 28, 2021, 5:35:39 AM6/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Scott,

The safest way forwards with this isssue is to first do a backup (Export) of your music collection to an external USB device.  That will secure your collection outside of your B2 in case of further actions being required.  If you are compressing to 'flac' format then your collection will be about 240GB in size and the 'Export' will take approximately 9 hours to complete.  The 'Export' can be done with 'HDD read only' showing, because the internal HDD is only being read from during this operation.

The backup function is found in the front panel menus at 'Main' --> 'USB Functions' --> 'Export to C' (if using USB C port) or 'Export to A' (if using USB A port).

The USB device must be formatted as 'FAT32', no other format such as 'NTFS' or 'exFAT' will work.

If you have to format the USB device, the format function is located at 'Main' --> 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Format USB C' (or 'Format USB A).  Note: Do not use the 'Format HDD' function under any circumstances at this stage; this function will delete your entire music collection from the B2.

  As Daniel has stated, often the 'HDD Read only' is caused by a corrupted track on the B2's internal HDD.  Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Peter.