Using Etcher to reprogram an SD Card

PMB

Dec 29, 2021, 8:48:51 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I received this email from Phil -

Hi,

 Suspect you may already be aware of the following – but if not, it may be a useful addition to your knowledge base.

 I was having issues with my Brennan B2 and thought creating a new SD card would help.   I followed the guidance from the Brennan website on how to create my own new SD card.

 I downloaded and installed a copy of Etcher.  But when trying to create the SD card I kept on getting verification errors and the card would not properly create with the Brennan image.

 Frustrated I started looking at possible issues with Etcher and discovered that trying to use this with card readers connected via USB 3 can be a problem.   My PC has USB 3 ports…

 I then tried using Etcher on an older computer with a USB 2 port – it then worked first time and I was able to format the card and then create the card with the Brennan image needed.   To make sure this was not just luck I did the same with a different spare SD card – with same result, failed on my computer with USB 3 but worked perfectly on the old computer with USB 2.

 Hope this is helpful in case others follow the instructions on your web site and come across the same problem.

 BTW – the new image seems to have resolved my Brennan B2 problems – so I now back up and running.

 Regards

 Phil

Mikki Mason

Dec 30, 2021, 11:03:28 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
hiya just a quickie, having problems myself regarding sd card so im gonna have a go at reflashing it ,
do i need to reformat the card and if so to which format fat32 or another one
thanks in advance
also my pc seems to think its only a 2gb card when its a 8gb card any clues wi that

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 11:09:56 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

when you flash the card everything already on it is wiped so no need to format.
I am a bit suspicious of your card though given the disparity in capacity
what are you looking at to get the figure of 2gb not 8gb ?

John

Mikki Mason

Dec 30, 2021, 11:44:29 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
its when its picked up by the pc as a new plug in device ,saying it needs formatting but comes up with fat32 and capacity at 1.48gb

Mikki Mason

Dec 30, 2021, 11:49:23 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
just tried it with a 16gb card and it does the same

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 11:58:22 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Ignore what yourr PC says. Just go ahead with Etcher  and flash the card.
Fred

Mikki Mason

Dec 30, 2021, 1:02:05 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
cheers fred did a quick search its a known fault on windows pc but if you go to sdcard.org you can download a formatter from there that fixes the problem

Mikki Mason

Dec 30, 2021, 1:02:15 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
cheers fred did a quick search its a known fault on windows pc but if you go to sdcard.org you can download a formatter from there that fixes the problem

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 5:17:50 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
That is not the point. When using Etcher the SD Card does not need to be pre formatted, Etcher does all that is needed for you and once done, the Card should not then be fiddled with.
Fred.