USB connexion

Natalia Rodriguez

Feb 16, 2021, 7:02:06 AM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I want to compare the SP/DIF Toslink connexion of the B2 with a USB output to an amplifier with its own DAC. (Cambridge CXA81) Which USB output should I use on the B2 for the best signal? I've read in certain hifi reviews that the USB signal from an HDD can surpass that of any CD player. I'm guessing that the internal DAC of the B2 needs to be bypassed as when using the Toslink.
Thanks.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 16, 2021, 7:44:59 AM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
The B2 does not output a music signal on the USB ports.  The only options for digital output are HDMI and Toslink.

Most hardcore audiophiles would not consider a B2 for playback.  Most other folks are quite happy with its sound quality.  Many have commented that the digital output to an external DAC sounds much better than either the analog output or the direct speaker connection.  If your audiophile ears are so finely tuned that you can appreciate the differences between the Toslink output and the USB output of some other devices, than I will respectfully suggest that the B2 is not for you.

Natalia Rodriguez

Feb 16, 2021, 9:01:29 AM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I've tried the toslink connexion using a separate DAC to my ancient amplifier which was lacking digital inputs and DAC. There was a noticeable difference.  I'm not trying to improve the sound per se as it has been very much so by the integrated DAC in the CXA81, I'd go as far to say the sound is excellent. (depending of course on the original recording) What I am looking for is an improvement in the soundstage and stereo imaging if possible that's why I though of trying USB which I've not tested on other equipment. I'm not a fanatic of hi-end hifi nor an electronics boffin. I haven't changed anything until now in my system in 11 years. The B2 is a great piece of kit and frankly gives excellent value for money although a model without the amp might better suit people like me but when all said and done the Brennan does what it says on the box and is also great for taking on holiday with a pair of mini speakers. (PS I had my hearing tested a few years ago on my husband's instructions as he was convinced I was deaf. Result: Hearing range 18Hz to 22kHz!)

mantis1955

Feb 16, 2021, 10:43:12 AM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
My first post on the forum as my B2 arrived today. Unfortunately I've misread Martin's instructions regarding output so I can't listen except with earbuds... d'oh!
I ordered a DAC with Toslink identical to what works on my smart telly with my Rotel RA-10 analogue-only amp. However it has Toslink on both ends so won't go into the B2.

I've now ordered the cable recommended by Martin with the 3.5mm jack connected to two phono plugs from Amazon so hopefully get it before Friday. Very frustrating.
If I later buy a cable with Toslink at one end and 3.5mm jack at the other, I should be able to use the DAC with that, right? @Daniel - would you expect any difference between these two methods (I expect not?). Also I'm 65 and I think my hearing is good but judging by my children's it's not...

However although I can't listen, I've had a bit of fun ripping, and setting up the radio. It really is a fine machine.

Jonathan Sucher

Feb 16, 2021, 4:56:19 PM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Following this conversation.  Planning to buy B2 and was also planning to use the HDMI through a “game” port on my Onkyo AVR.  While I don’t expect McIntosh level playback I do want decent fidelity which the FLAC should deliver.  Being able to simply play CD’s for 1 is attractive, but having all or most of my CD’s in one place is more of the attraction.  Any reason NOT to use the HDMI?  Thx!

Daniel Taylor

Feb 16, 2021, 5:48:50 PM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
jo...
I'm not completely certain that I follow you.  I think you orderd an analog cable with 3.5mm to separate L/R phono connectors.  Is that right?  If you want to compare that to using the Toslink output to an external DAC, I suspect that the external DAC will sound better, but how much better will depend on how good the DAC is.

jays...
Coincidentally, I use the HDMI output to the game input on my Onkyo AVR and I'm quite happy with it.  When you use that B2 output, you must go into Settings in the WebUI and check the box for "Audio on HDMI (TV)."

mantis1955

Feb 17, 2021, 4:58:53 AM2/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Daniel - yes, that's right. In fact I just ordered the one Martin links to in the 'questions' page. He should get royalties ;-)
I have a Techole DAC which has a quality feel about it but only costs about a tenner, but that's for later. The priority is to get listening to music right now if this cable arrives... maybe today.

PMB

Feb 17, 2021, 6:01:45 AM2/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jo...

The optical cable you need has a mini TOSLink connector for the B2 (left hand connector in the photo) and a standard TOSLink the other for the DAC, like this -

Mini TOS Link cable.jpg

Or you can buy a mini TOSLink adapter like this to convert a standard TOSLink cable -

mini TOSLink adapter.jpeg

Paul
Brennan Support.

mantis1955

Feb 17, 2021, 8:25:58 AM2/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul. I’ll probably try that in a few weeks. Meanwhile the cable arrived a couple of hours ago and I’m loving the sound.