High volume cut out

wwgs...@hotmail.com

Mar 14, 2022, 1:30:28 PM3/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi

I've had my B2 a long while now, but lately it causes the amp to shut down when I play anything loud, so put it down to the Amp as the B2 was connected via optical and strictly speaking just a play source, so I decided to get a new amp (not arrived yet) Cambridge Azur 540R, so for the time being loaded it 2 speakers onto the B2 (Meridian A500) and when I turned it up loud again, it cut out, this time put it down to the speakers, so changed them today to Q acoustic 3020, and when I turned it up to volume 50, BANG it cut out again, so in conclusion it IS the B2 that is causing all the problems. WHY?
Iare there settings I need to change or???

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2022, 1:46:45 PM3/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Can you confirm that the problem manifests when you are just using the B2's optical output with the B2 volume set to 0. Volume is ignored when using optical!
Or is it whenever you turn up the volume past 50 whatever the output.

Fred

Peter Lowham

Mar 14, 2022, 2:22:33 PM3/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi wwgs...,

The B2 output stage is rated at 15 watts RMS continuous.  At protracted high volumes, the output amp stage may be going into thermal shutdown in order to protect itself from overheating.

Regards,
Peter.

Davywhizz

Mar 14, 2022, 3:20:08 PM3/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Both the speakers you mention are rated at 6 ohms, according to a quick Google search. The B2 prefers 8 ohms and will work hotter with a lower load, as any amp will, thus risking a thermal cut out. The usual advice is to keep the volume below the max. But it's hard to understand it when using the optical output.

As well as doing what Fred said, you could try running your attached speakers at lower volume just to confirm, or otherwise, that side of the problem is related to speaker impedance.

PMB

Mar 15, 2022, 4:19:54 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi wwgs...,

Go to Settings menu and check the status of 'Jack Sense' - turn it on which should disable the internal amp when a plug is present in the Line Out/Optical socket.

Paul
Brennan Support.

wwgs...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2022, 5:05:34 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
It happens when using either the B2 amp, i.e speakers connected direct to B2 and the same problem when connected to an amp via optical thus strictly speaking making the B2 a transporter, like a CD player or turn table. I did find that when using the equaliser and enhancing that it cut out at volume 44. It was loud but not too loud.

wwgs...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2022, 5:48:34 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
It only cuts out at a higher volume, normal listening level, where you can have a conversation is fine.

wwgs...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2022, 5:54:01 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Paul but what is the problem when running the speakers from the B2, with EQ slightly enhanced it cuts out around volume 44-48, regardless it's running 6ohm speakers I should still be able to play it loud surely, as I say I've had the B2 for a while now, had initial problems where it went backwards and forwards to Newmarket (I seem to remember) but now I can't play anything heavy like Hendrix or Floyd at high volume, either straight from B2 or via the optical into an amp.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 15, 2022, 7:17:49 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
I think your B2's amp has been working too hard for too long.  The B2 amp is about as far away from being a powerhouse as you can get.  Once you get it repaired, do yourself a favor and feed the output to an external amp.  And only use the equaliser for cuts, not boost.  That's a known limitation of the equaliser.  Personally, I think they should redesign it so that there's enough headroom reserved for any possible boosts.  Right now, a boost can cause the amp to be overdriven.

wwgs...@hotmail.com

Mar 15, 2022, 8:20:52 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Daniel

My B2 has been going through an amp since day 1, it is only recently that I have had this problem, and the speakers are only plugged into the B2 till I rig up a new amp, I'm hoping that by turning the jack sense on so it bypasses the B2 amp it'll cure the problem, will update once I have done all this.

Pete

Davywhizz

Mar 15, 2022, 10:30:07 AM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Have you always used the equaliser?  It can add distortion by boosting the line out signal, even when using the optical output. I don't see that as a problem, as Daniel seems to, it's just what graphic equalisers can do if they sit within a signal chain, where they can add gain rather than just volume. Whatever the frequency band settings, you need "unity gain" overall. In other words, the volume should be the same when the equaliser is enabled as when it's not.

Robert

Mar 15, 2022, 6:15:22 PM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
So I took Paul's suggestion to turn on Jack Sense, I have my B2 connected via optical to my amp, and i think the music sounds better? Is that possible?
Also, when setting Jack Sense ( to on) and pressing the volume the display flashes "Mode" I'm assuming that sets the Jack Sense to "ON" permanently? Which brings up two more questions, is there a way on the UI to see every settings status? Second question, is there a cheat sheet that shows optimum settings? Such as turning on Jack Sense when using optical into an amp? Thank you.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 15, 2022, 7:32:32 PM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Some of the controls on the B2 can be confusing.  Generally, when you get into a command, before you select it, whatever it says is what will happen when you select it.  It does not say what the state is now, but what the state will be after you select it.

So, for Jack Sense...
Turn the large control knob on the front panel until the display says Settings.  Push the knob in to select that sub-menu.
Turn the knob until the display says Jack Sense.  Select it.
If it says "Jack Sense On" that is what will happen when you select it.
The other two options are "Always On" and "Jack Sense Off."
You can view those three options without selecting any of them.
Turn the knob to the next option and then read the scrolling description at the bottom of the display.
When you get to the selection you want, push in the knob, and it will say Mode Set for a short time.  Then you know it's done what you told it to.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2022, 8:34:57 PM3/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Thats a good way of explaining it Daniel.
Fred

PMB

Mar 16, 2022, 5:12:52 AM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Robert,

Most settings are only available via the front panel controls or remote controller. We didn't want to clutter the web UI with settings that are only used once or twice during setting up.

There is a menu summary on the website - here

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jeff. M.

Mar 16, 2022, 10:32:09 AM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Daniel, had never thought to look at the front panel for option descriptions, I now know i have jack sense on, as I have optical output to my amp!