Random play on USB

Francis Klonowski

Mar 7, 2022, 7:06:28 AM3/7/22
to Brennan Forum
I recently copied about 5 albums via Playlist to a USB stick for listening in the car, something I have often done successfully before. However this time I found it was playing random tracks instead of going through each album. Before I start fiddling with controls, does anyone know if this is something generated by my Playlist on Brennan - i.e. could I have inadvertently set it up to play random tracks? Otherwise it must be something in the car system. Thanks. Francis

Daniel Taylor

Mar 7, 2022, 9:37:36 AM3/7/22
to Brennan Forum
If you copied just the albums, and not the playlist file, then the order they are played in is totally up to the car player.  Did you copy the playlist file as well?  What command(s) on the B2 did you use to copy the music?

The playlist file is a text file that you can inspect on your computer.  if your car is actually using the playlist file, it will probably play the songs in the order they are listed in the file.  That is, unless the car player has a random mode that can be switched in or out.  Without more to go on at this point, I'd guess that the car player was what was determining the random play.

PMB

Mar 8, 2022, 5:16:40 AM3/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Francis,

Without more info I would say this is to do with the car's stereo system - it is playing them in alphabetical order, for example.

Have you looked at the contents of the memory stick on your computer? Are the Tracks for those Albums numbered?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Francis Klonowski

Mar 8, 2022, 5:53:35 PM3/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you. I used the Export Playlist option, which I'm sure I have used before. I know it copied all tracks because I kept glancing at the display while it was in progress. In the car, it played one track from one album, then jumped to another album and played a track from that. I haven't made any journeys since then, but will check the settings tomorrow.
Interestingly, I tried listening to the Playlist on the B2 this evening. I chose the CD [one of 5 copied], it played Track 1 then stopped. I couldn't see how to select any other tracks - none of the displays offered that option. I think I also need to go back to the "How To's" to remind myself how to use this facility.
Francis

Daniel Taylor

Mar 8, 2022, 8:00:40 PM3/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Export Playlist was the right command.  And it copies only the music, not the list.  So it cannot be the list itself that is the problem.

I think you're going to have to look at the USB disk and see what all is there.  And make sure that all the filesizes are reasonable, ie non-zero.

The fact that the B2 exhibited similar strange behavior makes me wonder if something has gone wrong with the Playlist itself.  Another thing you could do is to copy the playlist (just the list, not the music) to a USB disk and look at it with a text editor.  Use the Playlist to C command (USB menu).  That command allows you go specify which playlist you want to copy, without getting all the others.

Please let us know what you discover.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2022, 9:29:07 PM3/8/22
to Brennan Forum
There is another dimension to this.

Playlists are generated from the B2's index database, if you have not run a Scan Disk before creating or editing a Playlist then what goes into the Playlist may  not "point" at anything real (if the database is not a correct representation of what is on the HDD).
If this happens then of cause what is written to the USB when the playlist music is exported will not be correct!

Fred

Francis Klonowski

Mar 11, 2022, 1:17:28 AM3/11/22
to Brennan Forum
I think I've resolved it. The car unit has various options for playing from a USB - random, scan, repeat etc. I think I had chosen the wrong one in error - easily done as the audio manual provided when I got the car is for an older device, and not the one installed in my car! Anyway through trial and error it seems to be all OK now.