computer won't see Brennan B2

Rob Shuman

Sep 5, 2020, 10:45:06 AM9/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Recently I had to do a large reset of my computer.  Now it won't see the B2.  I've typed in every possible (I think) way for my computer to see it.  My Android phone see's it through my router/modem.  And I can control it from my computer via the internet.  But I don't have access to the NAS function.  I did a month ago.

Peter Lowham

Sep 5, 2020, 11:26:27 AM9/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rob,

What version of Windows are you on?  Microsoft made changes to NAS functionality on the later versions of Windows 10 (mid to late 2019, I think) which disabled 'smb1.0', which is possibly the root cause of your problem.

If your computer has been updated to later version of Win 10 through the automatic upgrade process then that could be the reason.

There are ways to get your NAS connection to function again, if this is the problem.  There are quite a few posts on this subject in this forum, so let us know which version you are on and we should be able to help.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 5, 2020, 2:01:37 PM9/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Rob responded via PM, so I have re-posted his responses here so that others can help if necessary.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 11:37 AM Rob Shuman  wrote:
Well Peter,  you summed it up perfectly.  That is exactly what happened.  It's an older computer and I should get a new one.  If regular employment comes back - we'll see.
And the updates were not going smoothly either.  But finally, the computer seems stable.
If you could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
It's Window 10.  Updated last week.  Version 1903.  OS build 18362.1016

Peter Lowham

Sep 5, 2020, 2:15:43 PM9/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rob,

Yes, I think that this was the version of Windows 10 that M/S changed the NAS setup.  Your older computer should be fine, if you were to purchase a new one, you would have the same problem.

There are posts on this forum that desribes how to fix this issue.  Here is the link to one of them.

If you can follow through the instructions given, you should regain a working NAS connection.  Let us know how you get on; if you have further problems we are here to help where possin=ble.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 6, 2020, 12:16:14 PM9/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Rob's response to my previous post via PM was as below, followed by my update at the bottom of this post.

Hello Peter,
  I followed your instructions and didn't have any success.  The response I get is the following:  "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid.  Please choose another".
Now admittedly I find the IP address a bit peculiar, 10.0.0.102 .  That seems to be in a different format than most I have seen on the forum.  I'm not sure who assigned it this address either.
I know I didn't.  In the U.S. with Comcast/Xfinity people have mentioned strange behaviour.  That wouldn't surprise me either.
Let me know if you have another suggestion.
Thanks again for your help.
Rob

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rob,

I think that the IP address on your B2 is part of the problem.  Can you post the IP address of your router and your PC?  These are likely (and should be) something like 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx (depending on the make and model of the router ans also whom your ISP is.

The router controls the IP address that the B2 is given, and is normally in the ranges in the line above.  Some routers have an additional facility to issue 'public IP addresses' in the 10.0.0.xxx range but this is for use in airports, trains and train stations or any general situation where wifi is being offered to the public, which is not the case here.

Also if you post your ISP provider name and router make and model, so that we can figure out what the #ip address range should be?

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 6, 2020, 12:17:50 PM9/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rob,

I've just had another thought, are you by any chance using Wifi 'range extender' devices in your network?

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 9, 2020, 2:27:48 PM9/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Rob responded to my PM that his NAS access is now working again.

Regards,
Peter.