USB "b2.tar.gz" and SD "B2B"

Steve Peers

Jan 29, 2020, 8:21:05 AM1/29/20
to Brennan Forum
I've just used "Settings>Web Upgrade" to bring my B2 to "Software Version B2B Jan 28 2020 11:48:02", or as it says on  https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/latestSoftware

29th January 2020
1) Import video files (mov and mp4) from USB on BB1 - through the Browse USB menu
2) Rename videos - three dots in search results
3) Fix truncation of Youtubes on B2

What is odd, is that I can't update using USB C "Settings>Maintenance>SW Upgrade"; since updating SD card to "B2B".

SD cards - I've used two, both operate correctly.
USB devices - I've used four, all mount correctly and B2 writes to them, e.g. b2db and B2AlbumList.txt

The SD card has on board a 3.7Mb "B2B.tar" zip file, whereas "b2.tar.gz" download is 1.2Mb, so I suspect that something on the USB needs to be renamed or otherwise changed.

Steve

PMB

Jan 30, 2020, 3:56:35 AM1/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

The b2.tar.gz is software that can be loaded via a USB stick (the same as a Web Upgrade) and will update high level things like the UI, YouTube functionality (for example), add features and bug fixes.

The B2BNov2019 includes core software updates that require reprogramming of the SD Card - via Etcher for example. B2B has updates to the Bluetooth software. This software image also includes a version of the b2.tar.gz that may not be up to date, so we suggest, after checking that the SD Card reprogram appears to work OK, doing a Web or SW Upgrade.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Steve Peers

Jan 30, 2020, 4:29:17 AM1/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,
Thanks for that.
Both my SD cards have the most recent base image, have been used to set up WiFi, and been Web Upgraded (yesterday) to most recent 2020-01-28/29.

The problem I see, is that upgrade via USB no longer works after the most recent base image, set up WiFi, and prior Web Upgrade (e.g. to previous 2020-01-09 version).

The USB load process shows a (too) brief "Loading" followed by "Rebooting", but neither a download b2.tar.gz (e.g. most recent 2020-01-28/29), nor my own version of b2.tar.gz (with some html tweaks) become loaded into the B2.

Steve

Daniel Taylor

Jan 30, 2020, 6:29:46 AM1/30/20
to Brennan Forum
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 8:21:05 AM UTC-5, Steve Peers wrote:
The SD card has on board a 3.7Mb "B2B.tar" zip file

Hi Steve,
That statement caught my eye.  I don't think that file is supposed to actually be on the SD card.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But I think that's supposed to be on the USB stick during the update, and then the contents of that file are what get put in their proper place on the SD card.  I'm not saying that's what's causing your problem exactly, but it made me wonder how it got there and if some procedural step had been missed or something.  Yeah, I know that's sort of vague.  I don't know how to explain it any better.

PMB

Jan 30, 2020, 3:30:11 PM1/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,