Tried & Tested Wi-fi Speakers for Brennan B2b?

Christian Sunderland

Oct 4, 2021, 6:47:53 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello,

This has probably been already covered somewhere in the depths of the forum!  Can anyone recommend a wi-fi speaker for a second room (lounge sized - the room, not the speaker) for a Brennan B2b? - Not necessarily Sonos, if there are cheaper equivalents...

Doesn't need to be booming loud but not a £12 tin-y 5w job off Amazon.

Needs to sold from the UK.

Any recommendations, appreciated!

Christian

JFBUK

Oct 4, 2021, 7:18:59 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Christian,

The B2 will only output wirelessly using Bluetooth or to a Sonos speaker system.
You would need to get other components not just speakers to get a working wifi solution, most are proprietary, e.g. Apple Airplay, Yamaha Musiccast etc.
Bluetooth is your best option but you would to make sure you can get sufficient Bluetooth signal strength for a stable connection.
There has been much discussion on her about ways to do that.

John

Peter Lowham

Oct 4, 2021, 7:32:53 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

I have two Sonos One SL speakers, running over Wifi and they are absolutely suberb!  I don't use Bluetooth much, only when travelling with a BB1 mainly because of Bluetooth's distance limitations.

The combination of the B2 and Sonos speakers makes the music play control so easy and flexible, and the music sound quality is really good.  The Sonos One speakers can be used singly or they can be paired or even grouped together (up to a maximum 32 speakers).

Regards,
Peter.

Christian Sunderland

Oct 4, 2021, 10:21:51 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
I believe (could be wrong), that other wi-fi, non-Bluetooth connection speakers are compatible with a B2b, other than Sonos, such as Google Alexa?

Daniel Taylor

Oct 4, 2021, 10:24:42 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
I've read here that some folks have had success with DLNA speakers.  Search the forum for DLNA.

JFBUK

Oct 4, 2021, 11:03:09 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Christian,

Amazon Echo (Alexa) and Google Nest speakers could possibly be paired with the B2 over Bluetooth and definitely users of this forum have used Amazon Echo speakers in that way.
But...
as I said in my first reply post the B2 will only output wirelessly via Bluetooth  or to Sonos speakers over Wi-Fi.
It will not output over DLNA or any other Wi-Fi protocol other than to a Sonos.

Daniel is correct that the B2 can support DLNA/UPnP but only as a DLNA/UPnP media server so you can connect to it as storage (like a NAS).
The B2 does not currently support the other DLNA/UPnP components.
The B2 cannot see or talk to any DLNA renderers on your network. Typically a DLNA renderer is an amp or active speakers.
My Yamaha amp which supports DLNA can see my B2 as a DLNA server but I cannot control the B2 over DLNA.

As Peter said in his post, Sonos works well with the B2 so that or Bluetooth are your best options.

A Sonos speaker may seem relatively expensive but for any other wi-fi solution will need to buy additional equipment as well as your speakers so the cost differential may not be that great.

I did come across these

But not sure of their availability in the UK and whether they would work for you.