Using BB1 and B2 together with same router

Michael Andrews

Jan 21, 2022, 8:38:50 AM1/21/22
to Brennan Forum
I have a BB1 which I love that's loaded with MP3 files and is also used to play internet radio in my study.  I'm considering getting a B2 to connect to my living room stereo to store and play a larger music library of FLAC encoded files from my CD collection.  Since both the BB1 and B2 are referencing the same IP address from the same router, is there any conflict?  Is the browser interface for the B2 different from the BB1 and knows which device it is looking at?  From the images, the interfaces look the same, and I don't see any discussion of using the BB1 and B2 together in a household.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 21, 2022, 9:19:18 AM1/21/22
to Brennan Forum
I'm not clear on what you mean when you said "both the BB1 and B2 are referencing the same IP address from the same router."  The router assigns a unique IP address to each device on the network.  Although it's possible that the B2 could get the same IP address that the BB1 had earlier, the BB1 could not still be on the network with that IP address when the B2 connects.  When both are on at the same time, they will have different IP addresses.

The WebUI is the same for each device.  I keep two browser windows open, one each for the B2 and BB1.  You just have to make sure that the browser window you want for the BB1 is given the correct IP address for the BB1, and similarly for the B2.

Peter Lowham

Jan 21, 2022, 9:35:56 AM1/21/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,

I have two B2s and two BB1s on my network at the same time they all work fine.  As Daniel says, the router is in control of the issuing of IP addresses to all devices on your network so the router knows when any particular IP address is is use.

Regards,
Peter.

Michael Andrews

Jan 21, 2022, 11:19:39 AM1/21/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Daniel and Peter for your replies.  I obviously didn't understand how the IP assignment process work.  I'm glad to learn that it's possible to use both kinds of devices together.  Best regards, Michael