Music copied from Itunes music shows in file explorer but just album titles on B2

Rick H

May 12, 2020, 8:31:46 PM5/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I copied 3 albums of music from my Itunes library to the B2. I have a mapped drive to the B2 and can find the album hames and see the tracks (MPEG-4) on the B2. But, when I try to play any of them, the album title is there but no tracks. I have run scan disk several times as well as compression (FLAC) and still cannot play any of the tracks under those album titles. I have had this issue in the past, but sometimes the actual titles do, eventually show up. But, this time it seems they are not going to. Any ideas?

Daniel Taylor

May 12, 2020, 8:35:21 PM5/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I'm probably not going to be of much help here.  But I wonder about the MPEG-4 format.  Is that one of the formats that the B2 can handle?

Rick H

May 12, 2020, 11:01:36 PM5/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I was under the impression that doing a compression to FLAC would do the trick. I have done this successfully in the past. But, maybe something has changed since then. Thanks.

PMB

May 13, 2020, 4:00:36 AM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rick H,

The B2 will play WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC and ALAC (Apple) files - ALAC files have a .m4a extension (but are shown as AAC on the B2).

AFAIK MPEG-4 is a video format that is not supported - have you transferred these to the B2 before?

The B2 will not compress or convert any files that are already compressed e.g. FLAC or MP3 or MPEG-4 (in your case).

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

May 13, 2020, 8:21:03 AM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Rick,
If you want the B2 to do the compression, that's not going to happen (based on what Paul said).  But you can convert them to FLAC on your computer before importing them onto the B2.  That should work okay.

Rick H

May 13, 2020, 12:17:53 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Paul, they are definitely not "AFAIK MPEG-4. They are just Itunes music files MPEG-4. And no I haven't transferred video files to the B2 previously. How do I convert these files to FLAC on my PC? I looked at the properties and did not see a way to do this.

Daniel Taylor

May 13, 2020, 1:08:59 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
 Rick,
"AFAIK" is an abbreviation that means "as far as I know."  It is not part of a file format.

You can convert the files to FLAC with many programs that do similar file conversions.  I use dBpoweramp Music Converter.  But it is not free.  I know there are many other programs for that sort of thing, and I think some of them are free.

Rick H

May 13, 2020, 1:42:47 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
LOL, ok. I did look for file conversion tools to do the job. One can drop them Google drive and convert them there supposedly. I am going to check the MS store to see what is there. Thanks.

Rick H

May 13, 2020, 2:36:55 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
I purchased the DBpoweramp music converter as it appears to be highly regarded and since I may be doing this more frequently it seemed like a worthy purchase. However, i have converted 2 of the albums to FLAC and B2 still doesn't find any music in the folders. I did a scan as well.

Leslie Brownlee

May 13, 2020, 2:59:41 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rick H, just a thought. Is the folder structure correct? Artist folder>Album folder>Tracks

I think if you NAS transfer just an album with tracks the B2 thinks the Album is the Artist and no tracks are visible.

Rick H

May 13, 2020, 3:06:32 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hmmm, no I didn't copy them in the file structure. But, I just went in and corrected that. I'll get back as to whether that worked. Forgot about that...Thanks.

Rick H

May 13, 2020, 3:39:47 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Success. I found the 3 albums on the B2 with the tracks. I must remember the file format of  Artist folder>Album folder>Tracks when I do these transfers of music from my Itunes library. Thanks to all for the able assistance.

Leslie Brownlee

May 13, 2020, 3:47:22 PM5/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Rick H, remembered something similar like that happening to me way back. Used NAS to transfer an album without the artist folder to the B2 as a test, and it did what you were finding. Glad you are sorted now.