export to C keeps stalling at an 'idn' file??

Iain Gartshore

Feb 26, 2022, 12:05:21 PM2/26/22
to Brennan Forum
I have a new problem with my B2, just started today; I was running my usual 'export to C' backup to a 500gb hard disc I have used many times before, but today it keeps stalling at track 3293, with the display stating no track number or name, just 3292 idn.
I have no clue what this is.
I had reformatted the hard disc to clear it, as it is one of two backup drives I alternate on a routine basis so that I have two backups. So doing my usual I plugged it into a powered USB drive connected to USB C, did the reformat USB C, then started export to C. As usual the process usually stalls after a couple of thousand tracks, but I am used to this and just accept it as one of the B2 quirks. However this time the process keeps stalling on 3293 idn and I have no idea how to identify what this is.
My B2 is visible as a NAS drive but when I search for idn nothing comes up on the B2, although a few .toc files on my macbook appear in different locations
Is this a corrupt file? How can I find it and repair or delete it?

Peter Lowham

Feb 26, 2022, 12:24:34 PM2/26/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

We should be able to find out more by using the 'Debug' utility on the B2.  This is accessed through the WebUI and is documented in the weblink shown below.

So if you familiarise yourself with the Debug usage, then leave the Debug window open, and then run the Export until you hit the 'idn' issue, we should get an indication of where the problem lies.  If you can take a screenshot of the last lines shown in Debug and post them here then that will help.

On the matter of your Export usually stalling, that is not normal behaviour at all.  I'm wondering if your B2 internal HDD is suffering from corruption for example.  Does the stalling happen at the same point in the Export?  And how do you recover from the stall?

Regards,
Peter.

Iain Gartshore

Feb 27, 2022, 9:16:03 AM2/27/22
to Brennan Forum
As usual things appear to have sorted themselves out with no action required! I did the export to C again this morning and it worked as expected...
The stalling can happen at any time but usually after a few thousand tracks have been exported, although not at the same point. I recover the situation using the highly technical process of switching the B2 off, leaving it a minute and trurning it back on. Always works to allow a few thousand more tracks to export.
Thanks for advice Peter. I will apply it next time I run into the same problem.

PMB

Feb 28, 2022, 6:55:24 AM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Does this sound like a memory thing, similar to the bug you found?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Apr 13, 2022, 11:46:12 AM4/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

I have just found your query here while updating my Problem Log spreadsheet, so my apology for missing this.

The problem does not sound to me like a memory issue; it is too irregular in my view.  But, at the moment, I cannot think of what would or could cause the issue

These 'self repairing' problems are not usually self repairing at all in my experience!  But I will think about it.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2022, 3:06:08 PM4/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Just a thought,
But before you backup next time - pleasr rune a "Scan Disk" and a "Save" on the B2.
My thought was - is there a mismatch between the "b2db" and reality on the HDD

Peter does the "Export" even use the "b2db" ?

Fred

Peter Lowham

Apr 14, 2022, 7:54:16 AM4/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

No, the 'Export' doesn't use 'b2db'; 'Export' just starts at the first physical folder/file in the 'music' folder and starts copying; it moves to the second physical item and so on until it reaches the end of the 'music' folder.

The definition of physical above is the order in which the CDs were loaded originally, or the order in which music was loaded from an 'Export' or through 'NAS'.

But the 'b2db' file is built under the same principle, so the 'b2db' file listing will be very similar to the 'Export' file listing.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2022, 11:12:01 AM4/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for this information Peter. With it I can see my suggestion preceding your reply will be of no help and should be Ignored. I would delete it but leaving it makes your answer to it clearer.
Fred