Brennan B2 with Bose Soundtouch

ARPinTAVI

Jun 27, 2020, 12:38:36 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Good evening All
I have searched the forum for information regarding Brennan B2 and using the Bose Soundtouch App but cannot find anything of recent date and wonder if there may be more information or solutions available now.
I know the B2 as an NAS works with Sonos but I had already bowed my head to other God of Speakers before I bought the B2 on the understanding (silly me) that the Bose Soundtouch app would work in the same way. Sadly the app does not appear to even see the B2 let alone connect to it!!

I'm sure someone out there will know why the problem exists but I am hoping that they also have a solution.

Andrew

Daniel Taylor

Jun 27, 2020, 1:04:17 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
I did a quick Google search of Bose Soundtouch.  I found a YouTube video that seemed to do a good job explaining it.  But when it came to using NAS, the video referred the viewer to SoundTouch.com.  Have you investigated what they have to say there?

ARPinTAVI

Jun 27, 2020, 1:14:43 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel
I've been looking through all the Soundtouch troubleshooting stuff I could find, including the .com website but just couldn't find anything beyond the usual setup instructions and FAQs. The closest anything gets to the problem is "if the app doesn't see the NAS then click refresh". One can only do that so many times in frustration before realising it just ain't gonna fly!
I didn't find anything that might go deeper into the issue, hence my post on here today.
I know the NAS is visible because I have managed to find it with an app called Flacbox and that worked.

Andrew

ARPinTAVI

Jun 27, 2020, 1:15:20 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
PS
Didn't find the You Tube video though so will go find that use in case.....

Daniel Taylor

Jun 27, 2020, 1:42:14 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
There has been much written in the forum about getting NAS to work with a B2.  I don't remember the details, because for me (with Windows 7) it just worked.  But for Windows 10, it requires something about SMB 1.0.  Mac computers have their own problems with it.  It's all here in the forum.  Try searching for NAS and SMB.

ARPinTAVI

Jun 27, 2020, 2:07:05 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Daniel,
You restored my ability to keep looking and I finally found a post that said on the B2 in maintenance you have to turn on DNLA, which I have done and now the Soundtouch App can see everything.

Andrew

Daniel Taylor

Jun 27, 2020, 3:32:22 PM6/27/20
to Brennan Forum
One thing that I think you should be aware of is that the B2's DLNA capability is still in the experimental stages.  I copied this from the Latest Software page on the Brennan website:

"The DLNA function is now switchable - you can find the switch in the Maintenance menu. You should keep it turned off if you don't plan to use it - it can use up a bit of CPU power. The DLNA configuration has been changed to expose the music folder on B2/BB1. This remains an experimental feature. Thanks to Stephen B for his contributions.
You can now see the on/off status of NAS and DLNA in stats."