Extra CD data base

P G

Jan 26, 2022, 5:46:58 PM1/26/22
to Brennan Forum
My new Brennan b2 operating system is dated November 2021.

As theres quite a few of my CDs that are unrecognised …is it worthwhile considering some other CD data base …if so how would I go about it ?

Daniel Taylor

Jan 26, 2022, 8:11:07 PM1/26/22
to Brennan Forum
As for your operating software, you can update it to the latest official release by running the Web Upgrade command (Settings menu).

The database that the B2 uses is from MusicBrainz.  Currently, there is no other option.  You can download a database to load onto the B2 that may include more older titles.  Read this page to find out more about your options for that.  Because your B2 is so new, that database may already be loaded on your unit.  Hopefully Paul can confirm or deny that.

If you still have albums that do not show up in the database, you can rip the CD on your computer using a program such as dBpoweramp CD Ripper, and then transfer the files to the B2.. That program uses multiple databases and has a high success rate.  However, even dBpoweramp misses a title once in awhile, especially new releases that haven't been entered in a database yet.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2022, 9:17:16 PM1/26/22
to Brennan Forum
It may be worth trying to download the old database
using the front panel menus go
Main menu > Settings > Maintenance > Get Mydb

a.JPG
This does help a bit.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Jan 27, 2022, 10:36:24 AM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
I'm curious about this other CDDB.  Would it not come already loaded on a new B2?  And once it is loaded, does it not need to be refreshed ever, because it's from the older FreeDB?  I'm hoping Paul (from Brennan) will respond.

P G

Jan 27, 2022, 10:59:55 AM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
Grateful thanks to all the help here.

Yes, I’ll look into this option and consider the other suggestion. I notice that very obscure CDs are sometimes recognised while other giants such as Archive are not even though their 10-20 years old. But in general I would say it’s about 1-2 out of ten not recognised. If it’s a three CD opera and no data it can be quite a nuisance but as stated, there can be ways around it hopefully.
But in general, although I was hesitant to spend such a large amount, I’m very pleased with the new b2.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2022, 12:35:44 PM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
I believe that the FreeDB that you can download is now defunct. It is not being updated, however the data it contains is of cause valid.
As most B2s are connected to the Internet in use the B2 software moved to a dynamic, online lookup using an internet DB which should keep abreast with new DC releases.

Fred

PMB

Jan 28, 2022, 3:52:40 AM1/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

AFIK the old freedb is loaded on new B2s but remember seeing seeing posts where owners say they have run Get Mydb (Maintenance menu) and get improved hits on older CDs.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Jan 28, 2022, 3:53:50 AM1/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi lectr...,

Try the unrecognised CDs again as sometimes the B2 will find them on 2nd or 3rd try - but not always.

Paul
Brennan Support.