Mirror MP3 compression started up after 10 Dec upgrade

zuid...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2020, 6:05:29 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
After downloading the 9th Dec 2020 upgrade yesterday my B2 has started to compress mirror MP3s again, despite having already done so.
The display currently shows "153 of -4". The "-4" I guess is because I deleted 4 FLAC files after they had been mirrored.
I have ~10,000 FLACs and asked the B2 to compress mirror MP3s when the feature was added, which took a few weeks. Recently I've been ripping batches of old vinyl to FLAC & MP3 so I'm familiar with the compression display and know that it will take a while after each batch.

Is the current restarted process re-ripping only files with special characters?
Or is it going through the entire 10,000 again?

Thanks,
Mark Beaumont

Brian R

Dec 12, 2020, 7:25:54 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Strange things happening in Mp3 land. Recently a number of my Flac albums have acquired an additional temp mp3 folder (empty) some of these empty folders include tracks (again empty) some albums have a full list of empty temp tracks some only a few??
Brian

Edwyn Corteen

Dec 12, 2020, 9:02:34 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Ditto except I am still on 3rd December, new mirror folder called .mirror with no contents???

Edwyn Corteen

Dec 12, 2020, 9:05:03 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I bet it is a bug with this from 3rd December update?
  • New faster mp3 encoding on B2/BB1 - its still slow compared to a PC - but about 2x faster than previously.

Brian R

Dec 12, 2020, 9:26:39 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I was on 3 Dec until this morning. Yes, Mirror with no contents.
Brian

Peter Lowham

Dec 12, 2020, 5:46:13 PM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

I have been working on the 'mirror' mp3 files and have the following thoughts on what is happening, but I haven't had time to fully investigate.  What I think is happening is that the 'flac+mp3' option scans through the music collection, looking for either a 'flac' track that does not have a 'mirror mp3' equivalent OR a 'flac' track that does not have an EXACT match 'mirror mp3' track.

If it finds either of these two conditions, the B2 will regenerate the 'mirror mp3' track.

So, I think (but cannot totally sure until I test this) that in your situation the B2 has found some mismatches caused by the 'special characters'.  It looks to me like the 153 count means that it has found 154 tracks with mismatched names, so only those 153 will re recreated.

WRT Brian's issue with 'temp' files, I have seen that problem before.  It is a bug, which has arisen in previous software versions; I reported that to Brennan back in July 2020 and it was fixed at that time.  It seems to have recurred so I'm sure that it will be fixed again.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 12, 2020, 7:41:04 PM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Will the Cleanup command clear out some of those extra files?

Brian R

Dec 13, 2020, 6:27:23 AM12/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel
It's worth a try. I'd forgotten about it!
Brian

Brian R

Dec 13, 2020, 6:48:47 AM12/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Cleanup is not the answer unfortunately
Brian

PMB

Dec 14, 2020, 4:50:44 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

FLAC+MP3 appears to be misbehaving currently so suggest you turn it off - select FLAC - pending further investigation and possible software update.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Dec 14, 2020, 5:46:17 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

So far, the only easy way that I have found to get rid of the 'temp' files is to delete them manually.  I do this through NAS.  This is a bug which I'm sure will be fixed fairly quickly.

The leftover 'temp' files are coming from the 'flac+mp3' compreesion option.  These files are not harmful and do not use any additional disk space, but they are aesthetically (to me anyway) an abomination.