USB location on B2

Peter Andrew

Dec 12, 2020, 2:08:47 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Have I got this right?

If I were to decide I wanted to actually use one of the USB slots to, I don't know,.... maybe export a playlist to a SD Card to play in my car (via a USB adaptor).... or import some tunes I had on a USB... or whatever, I would have to yank my machine out of its carefully created space and ram the thing in the back of it? Are USB slots so inherently ugly they have to be hidden from view, rather than visible enough to use? My iMac has the same thing going on. I think iMac designers had envisaged it sitting on a large desk in the middle of a room, rather than on my corner desk. What is the rationale for the Brennan B2 hiding its USBs round its tail end? And is there a work around whereby I can keep a short USB extension cable plugged into one of the slots permanently with the loose end dangling around the front....another aesthetic box ticked!

Davywhizz

Dec 12, 2020, 3:11:22 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
The B2 USB slots are intended primarily for the bluetooth and wifi dongles plus backing up (exporting) or importing content to and from external storage. Some users attach an external CD drive for faster ripping. I don't think it's possible to export a single playlist, but others here will know better. You could certainly leave a USB extension cable (or hub) attached. It's also one way, with the dongle on the end, to improve wifi strength.

If you were the designer, what would you take off the front panel to make room for a USB socket?

Daniel Taylor

Dec 12, 2020, 6:42:45 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes, a single playlist can be exported to a USB disk.
Playlist > Export Playlist > <specified playlist>   (copies the files in their folders)

One caution about the carefully created space for your B2:  make sure there is enough room for airflow so it doesn't overheat.  Never set anything on top of the unit.

Peter Andrew

Dec 12, 2020, 9:53:39 AM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
regards design improvement it wouldn't matter what I moved around to get a USB slot in there on the front panel.... I would just do it any way I could, even if it mean making the frontplatm slightly broader...though actually down the side leaving the front panel as is would be a possibility.

Thank you...exporting as you describe Daniel is exactly what I am hoping to do, and I take on board entirely what you have said about air flow and overheating and am going to have to sort that out fairly rapidly as it does seem to get fairly warm.

Les Stanley

Dec 12, 2020, 5:23:57 PM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I've often wondered what inspired Mr Brennan to make the B2 so small. I'd much rather have had something with a fascia large enough to accommodate an off/button (my model doesn't have one at all), headphones and the USB ports all on the front.

I get the impression most people, on this forum at least, use their B2 as part of a larger set up in a "proper" hi-fi scenario so the benefit of just having it on a desk with a couple of small speakers, which I think was the original intention, isn't important.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 12, 2020, 5:32:08 PM12/12/20
to Brennan Forum
I suspect that at least part of the reason is to try and keep the cost down.  Coctail Audio has done what you suggest.  They have a number of models, all of which are notably more expensive than the Brennan B2.

Les Stanley

Dec 13, 2020, 5:45:08 PM12/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Fair point Daniel. I looked at the Cocktail audio options along with a few others and of course, the Brennan was by far the best deal.

And there are always workarounds. My USBs are on extensions so I can easily access them. I bought an intelligent/smart power board so that when I switch off the amp the B2 also switches off and for headphone listening, I just use Bluetooth.

PMB

Dec 14, 2020, 5:31:12 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi scribula,

You can plug a USB Hub into one of the B2's ports to make them more accessible and provide more ports.

Paul
Brennan Support.