Sonos Speaker

andrewd...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2021, 1:34:37 PM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Dear All,

My Sonos speaker arrived yesterday. The sole purpose of the purchase was to use the speaker in my kitchen so that I could listen to my Brennan B2 whilst in that room.

After reading how easy it was to set up I thought even I can do this!

Firstly, after a few teething problems, I set up the speaker in my kitchen and connected it to my WIFI.

On the front panel of the B2 I ran a "scan Sonos" command. Wasn't sure if this was successful so I ran it again. I then pressed play/stop button and the "saving" message appeared. This was on the screen for a long time so I thought something had gone wrong. I was going to turn the Brennan off at the mains but eventually I got the normal scrolling screen on the front of my Brennan.

I then pressed "pick zone" and the kitchen speaker appeared after "wired speakers". Success I thought. I tried to play music using this speaker by pressing the "next" button for random play on the Brennan. "Saving" appeared on the screen, but no music, either showing on the front panel or through the speaker?!!!

What I would add is that at this stage I was having trouble with the Sonos app. My WIFI kept going in and out. I called Sonos helpline and the guy said if the white light was on then the speaker had been set up correctly. He said  that my WIFI was probably going from 2g to 5g or guest WIFI??. He did suggest a solution but to be honest he lost me completely. I've never had a problem with anything else on my home WIFI. For example the Brennan works fine. I always get the same IP address when I power up.

When I switch on and I'm on "wired speakers" I press "next" and everything is fine. What I haven't  tried is to try to switch to kitchen speaker once the music is playing. I'm afraid I might cause some damage to my beloved Brennan.

Should I try this? If not has anybody got any other suggestions?

Andy

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2021, 4:13:15 PM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

First deal with your Sonos setup and prove to yourself that this works as a Sonos system. Set up your speakers using the Sonos app then play some music through them using the sonos App. A radio station would do!

Then go to your B2 and using the Web UI cog, scan for Sonos speakers. Once found please understand that once you go bak into the base Web UI and select a Sonos speaker the entries made in the Web  UI will be for that speaker and if you then select another Sonos (or the wired speakers) a new "copy" of the Web UI is created to control output to that. You can then switch between the two and play different content to each at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PMB

Oct 7, 2021, 4:04:58 AM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

I would power the B2 and the Sonos speaker off, wait 30s or so and power the Sonos on. Wait for the LED on the Sonos to stop flashing and show white (indicating that has connected to your WiFi network) and then power the B2 on.

The B2 should find your Sonos speaker without having to run 'Scan Sonos', so use the front control to go to 'Pick Zone', select 'Kitchen' and then press NEXT (a brief press and then release - don't hold it).

It should be that simple. If this doesn't work try doing a Web Upgrade - Settings menu - to make sure the B2 is running the latest software.

Paul
Brennan Support.

andrewd...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 1:33:27 PM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred, Paul

The Sonos speaker appears to be set up correctly. The white light on the top of the speaker is on indicating it's connected to my WIFI. I can play music on the speaker from Amazon Prime music, music on my own phone and the Alexa bit appears to work OK. My Brennan software is up to date. The speaker is Sonos One (Gen 2) smart speaker with voice control.

On the Brennan, wired speakers and kitchen speaker is showing when I select "pick zone". I've tried selecting the kitchen speaker and then pressed "next" to play a random selection of my music. I get a short message saying "saving" and then nothing. I've tried playing music on my wired speakers and then switching zones mid track. Although "kitchen speaker" appears on the scroll down menu on the front of the Brennan the music continues to play through the Brennan wired speakers!!

I've also tried controlling which zone the music plays in by using the Brennan app. Again no music comes out of the Sonos speaker in the kitchen but I noticed on the app it says "Sonos Paused". Also when I try to play music from the B2 on the kitchen speaker I get a scroll down menu, on the SONOS app, saying the song I'm trying to play is no longer available on, and then it quotes my Brennan IP address. This continues showing numerous other songs saying they are not available until I turn the app off or change to say Amazon music. These tunes are all still available on the B2.

Appreciate that this should be easy to set up and that's why I'm finding it very frustrating that mine doesn't work and I can't work out why. I bought the speaker specifically so that I can enjoy the music on my Brennan in the kitchen. It's clearly good quality and the music that I'm able to play sounds great but it's a lot of money to spend on something that won't do what I want it to do!!

Any other suggestions would be great as I'm almost ready to give up.

Andy

Peter Lowham

Oct 7, 2021, 2:01:12 PM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

You have noted that you are changing the speaker selection while playing music.  That will cause problems for the Brennan.  If you want to change speakers, make sure that the music play has stopped, then select the required speaker then start the music again.

Regards,
Peter.

andrewd...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 2:12:01 PM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Peter,

Thanks for this. I only did this because I was desperate. Doesn't appear to have done any damage thankfully. Brennan still working through the wired speakers.

Although the kitchen speaker is showing as a zone option when I select it I can't play any music as described in my email above. The Brennan app shows the message "Sonos Paused" and the Sonos app has a scroll down menu message saying that the songs that I'm trying to play are no longer available on my Brennan IP address! Not sure what to do really.

Any suggestions what might be the problem

Andy

Peter Lowham

Oct 7, 2021, 2:23:13 PM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andrew,

Can you still play music from the Sonos app to the Sonos speaker? That will tell us whether or not the Sonos can see the B2.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Oct 8, 2021, 4:19:46 AM10/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

There are three ways to select a Sonos speaker/Zone -

via the front panel (using Pick Zone)
via the web UI (using the SONOS drop down menu)
via the app.

However these are three completely separate systems and currently do not communicate, so each doesn't know what's been set on the others. So it is best to only use one to select the SONOS.

When a SONOS speaker/zone is selected - 'kitchen' in your case - from the front panel controls for example, the front panel controls are assigned to 'kitchen' and the web UI and app have no control.

If you have a track playing to 'kitchen' using the front panel and then change to Wired, the controls no longer work with 'kitchen' - you have to switch back to the 'kitchen' zone to stop the music, change track, etc. You can however play a different Track to Wired.

I think what has happened in your case is you have assigned the SONOS using the front controls and then expecting the web UI and app to interact.

I would power the B2 and the SONOS off, wait 30s or so and power the SONOS on. Wait for the white LED to show solid (indicating SONOS has connected to WiFi) and then power on the B2. Use the front control to go to Pick Zone and select 'Kitchen'. Now press BACK twice to get back to the clock screen. Press NEXT to play a randomised selection to the SONOS.

Does this help?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Oct 8, 2021, 6:38:37 AM10/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I received the post below from Andy in my PM so I have reposted it here as others will have more in depth knowledge of the Sonos element.

Peter,

I've attached a video showing what happens on the Sonos app and a screenshot of what I get on the Brennan app.

Cheers

Andy

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021, 09:29 Andrew wrote:
Peter,

To be fair what I'm doing at the moment is using verbal commands asking Alexa to play certain music. Does that count as playing direct from the app?

I must admit if I play anything from Amazon Prime music I use that app. Select the music on the Amazon app and then select the Sonos speaker from the Amazon app. Not directly on the Sonos app.

To be honest I'm not sure how to play direct from the app. Shall I try the Sonos radio? If that works will that indicate that the Sonos app is working correctly?

I'll try the Sonos radio app later and see if it works. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have you any thoughts on why it says "Sonos paused" on my Brennan mobile app? And the scrolling menu on the Sonos saying the track is no longer available on then quotes my IP address?

Peter I appreciate your help. I'm finding this very frustrating as it should be so easy. I'll let you know how I get on.

Andy

Screenshot_2021-10-07-09-27-07-835_uk.co.brennan.brennanapp.jpg
VID-20211007-WA0000.mp4

PMB

Oct 11, 2021, 4:04:46 AM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

Apologies, I noticed a small error with my instructions -

I would power the B2 and the SONOS off, wait 30s or so and power the SONOS on. Wait for the white LED to show solid (indicating SONOS has connected to WiFi) and then power on the B2. Use the front control to go to Pick Zone and select 'Kitchen'. Now press BACK twice to get back to the clock screen << this part not required as the B2 goes back to the clock screen after selecting a Zone. Press NEXT (at the clock screen) to play a randomised selection to the SONOS - the B2's display should show 'Starting' briefly and then the name of the first track.

As I mentioned before, don't use the app or the web UI at this stage - just use the front controls.

Paul
Brennan Support.