Amp connecting

David Gorman

May 9, 2021, 12:02:08 PM5/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Is there much to be gained by connecting the jb7 or jb2 to another amp. I wondered if there would be any degrading of sound quality connecting the brennan to an amp via line out rather than directly to speakers

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 9, 2021, 1:01:56 PM5/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David.

I have heard of a JB7 but not a JB2 - did you mean a Brennan B2? If so then regarding the B2, it does have an internal Amp which is OK, but if you have a good external Amp system then using this is , in my opinion, better. You can make the connection using the analog line out port on the back of the B2!.
However this port also doubles as a DIGITAL optical output port. If you get yourself an external DAC and connect to this then take the analog signal form the DAC to your amplifier your quality of connection is even better (how much you want to spend on the DAC is up to you but I find an inexpensive Amazon version does all I need (I am old now and my hearing is not what it was).

I do not have a JB7 so i can not comment about that.

Fred

JFBUK

May 9, 2021, 1:07:55 PM5/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

I have my B2 connected using the SPDIF out on the B2 to the optical input  of my amp and I cannot detect any sound degradation, but my ears are aging so maybe not the best judge :)
It may depend on the quality of the DAC in your amp

The B2 website states...

B2 DAC Quality

We use a Burr Brown (Texas Instruments) PCM2902C DAC - you can look it up. The optical SPDIF output from B2 means you can spend as much as you can afford in pursuit of audio quality on a DAC, Amplifier and Speakers and the B2 will not compromise the sound.

The reason I connect to an amp is that I have other sources to playback through my speakers, cassette deck and turntable.

In terms of volume the B2 pumps out a healthy volume with directly connected speakers but of course connected to an amp you have potentially more power if you need it.

More here

John

David Gorman

May 9, 2021, 1:25:53 PM5/9/21
to Brennan Forum

Thanks for the responses. Sorry did mean B2. I currently have the JB7 and was looking at getting the nad 3020 amp. The jb7 has a line out which I think is not optically compatible so I assume that I could connect this to the amp using a 3.5 jack to 2 phono plugs and would not need a DAC?

Daniel Taylor

May 9, 2021, 5:07:41 PM5/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,
Yes, a 3.5 jack to 2 phono plugs will work fine.

My opinion of the B2's amp is that it is lacking.  I noticed a remarkable improvement when connecting it to an old receiver compared to the same speakers hooked directly to the B2.  That was just to test that the amp worked when I first got it.  Now I use the B2 connected to my AV receiver over HDMI (which is digital).  That takes both the B2's internal amp and DAC out of the picture, and the sound is much better.

When you get your B2, try it different ways.  If you notice better sound with a particular connection, there's your answer.  But if not, then just use whatever is most convenient.  There are quite a few connection options:
- Speakers wired directly
- Analog output to an external amp/receiver
- Headphones plugged into the analog output
- Optical digital output to an external DAC or receiver
- HDMI digital output to an external DAC or receiver
- Bluetooth to a compatible device
- WiFi to Sonos using either the Sonos app or the B2 to control

Did I miss any?

David Gorman

May 10, 2021, 6:06:10 AM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel
Thanks for the very detailed and very useful reply. Cant think of anything you have missed. I must admit I had not thought about HDMI. For some reason I always associate that with video/television
Thanks
David

Daniel Taylor

May 10, 2021, 6:57:24 AM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Actually, there is a little bit of video that goes over the HDMI connection.  I think it was originally intended for debugging.  But if you plug into your TV, last time I checked you could see the album art and some debug info.  I don't connect direct to my TV.  I connect to my AV receiver, and the TV is on the HDMI monitor output.  Good thing is, you don't have to have your TV on.  Be aware though that the HDMI connection is a bit finicky.  The order in which you turn on devices seems to be important.

Important for using the HDMI output:  you must check the box in the WebUI for "Audio on HDMI (TV)" which also disables the other outputs.

Davywhizz

May 10, 2021, 10:19:35 AM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David

Are you thinking of the current NAD D3020 (version 2) amp? The 3020s were an earlier, analogue only series. If so, it can take both digital and analogue inputs (it also has a very nice dedicated phono input/preamp for a turntable). So you could plug in both a JB7 (via mini jack to twin RCA/phono plugs) and B2 (optically) and switch between them using the amp's remote or on-board controls. the D3020 is a really nice, integrated amp/DAC and one of the the biggest bargains, regarding value for money, in the hifi world.

David Gorman

May 10, 2021, 12:32:23 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davywhizz
Yes it was the version 2 I was looking however I am also looking at the 3045. It has more power, more connectivity and has bluetooth aptxhd although it is another £200
David

Daniel Taylor

May 10, 2021, 2:45:04 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I have high regard for NAD equipment.  Will you be using the amp for near field listening, like on a desktop?  If so, I'm sure the D3020 will be fine.  But if you'll be driving larger speakers, possibly of lower sensitivity, to fill the room with sound, then the 3045 might be better.

One thing I just noticed is that the 3020 does not have a USB input for music from you computer, whereas the 3040 does.

Another nice unit is the PS Audio Sprout 100, with 100 watts/channel; inputs for vinyl, analog, digital (optical), and USB; outputs for subwoofer and analog.  Priced just slightly less than the NAD 3045.

David Gorman

May 10, 2021, 4:17:47 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel
It will be my main music source at home. I am just restarting a system. I dont intend to use a pc/laptop as a source for music. It will be the brennan and at some point possibly a turntable. I do have a spotify account and I gather you can access this from the b2 although I am not sure how well this functions. I have some tracks from spotify downloaded on to an ipod touch so may connect that with bluetooth. I have a pair of KEF coda 7 speakers left over from my previous system they must be 25 years old so may look to replace them but I doubt I would have anything much larger unless I win the lottery and buy a property with a soundproof basement!
David

Daniel Taylor

May 10, 2021, 4:25:45 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I've read many times over the years that NAD is modest in their power ratings.  So the 60 watts of the 3045 might better be considered to have the capability of any other amp rated at 80 watts - just a guess.

I really like the PS Audio Sprout 100, but it is a bit limited on inputs.  Cambridge Audio also has some good stuff that would be worth considering.

Tony Martin

May 10, 2021, 5:20:00 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I have my B2 connected to a Denon PMA 720 AE via a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic.  My CD player (now rarely used) is connected in the same way and my Thorens record deck (owned for 40 years and bought second hand) is connected.  The line out from the amp is connected to the B2 line in to allow recording.  I did connect the B2 direct to the speakers when I got it for comparison, but the amp/dac magic is superior.

jeff...@googlemail.com

May 10, 2021, 5:23:51 PM5/10/21
to Brennan Forum
David, Spotify works really well on the B2.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted