New SD card problem

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 19, 2022, 11:01:05 AM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
My new SD card arrived today and I fitted it according to instructions … including running the web upgrade…. but when I play music there is a sound like a quiet woodpecker every five seconds in the background. It’s most distracting!

Any bright ideas?

Simon

JFBUK

Jan 19, 2022, 11:30:48 AM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi William,

I'm assuming you have a B2 and its booting OK.

How are you playing back ? wired speakers, Bluetooth, optical ?

John

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 19, 2022, 11:42:22 AM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John

Yes, I have a B2 and it appears to be booting OK. I play back through wired speakers. The noise occurs when listening to the radio as well as using the HD. I have tried removing and re-inserting the SD card and also running Scan Disk. It has made no difference.

JFBUK

Jan 19, 2022, 11:55:40 AM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi

if you have some headphones try plugging those into the B2  line out Jack.

If you hear/don't hear the "woodpecker" it will help diagnose

John

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 19, 2022, 12:00:59 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Sorry I don’t have any headphones.

JFBUK

Jan 19, 2022, 12:10:53 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

have you checked the software version on your new card ?

Its possible it shipped with an older version so a web upgrade will at least get you on the latest version.

There is no visible issue with your speaker connections -  possible touching and shorting ?

 A thin piece of card between the banana plugs can mitigate this

John

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 19, 2022, 12:15:43 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John

I carried out a web upgrade as soon as I had installed the new card (as recommended). The whole system was working perfectly immediately prior to installing the new card. I have tried wiggling the banana plugs and checked all the other connections, the noise still persists.

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 19, 2022, 12:23:14 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
I just found an ancient set of ear plug headphones…. the noise is still there, albeit, quite faint.

JFBUK

Jan 19, 2022, 1:09:25 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

The sound will be faint as the line out does not use the B2 main amplifier.
Others may have some thoughts on further diagnosis but the clicking could be a hardware issue with the B2
Paul from Brennan will undoubtedly pick up on that tomorrow and advise

John

Daniel Taylor

Jan 19, 2022, 1:13:08 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Try putting your old, original SD card back in, and see how it performs then.  If the problem is still there, I'd suspect a hardware problem.  If the problem has gone away, I'd suspect the new SD card - either the card itself or the software on it.  Please let us know.

williamsi...@btinternet.com

Jan 19, 2022, 1:18:04 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel. Many thanks. I put the old SD card back and, hey presto, no clicking, so I guess the new card must be faulty.

Regards

Simon

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2022, 2:02:58 PM1/19/22
to Brennan Forum
I concur, either the card is bad or the software on it is corrupt.
Fred

PMB

Jan 20, 2022, 4:03:53 AM1/20/22
to Brennan Forum