Ethernet and Wi-Fi

P. M. Adamson

Aug 31, 2021, 3:47:28 AM8/31/21
to Brennan Forum
Ethernet works with USB Adaptor so software etc must be upto date. Original unit was dated  August 2nd.
Thanks for all your help but Still cant use it with wi-fi but will try web update via settings..
Managed to get the app up on the screen with Ethernet Ip adress so on the way.
Will try web upgrade later when connected to Ethernet. I cant use ethernet except when my Octupus arms grandson is off the premises so maybe tomorrow before I can update.
Peter M

Peter Lowham

Sep 2, 2021, 11:39:36 AM9/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Received in my PM  today:  @Paul B; could you check to see why Peter cannot log on the Forum?  Thanks.

Hi Peter.
I went on the forum today and couldn't post so sent the email to the forum address and it was refused. Can you help me out with this one please?
Peter.

So far I have found the B2 will not connect to my wi fi after 7 days of trying. The forum has been excellent with some very good theories but still no success. The following is a list of events and hoping someone can solve this.
My wi fi is fibre optic BT latest hub Smart Hub 2
1. Brennan dongle found our WI fi but wouldn't connect.Did the restart,reboot and moved it next to router. No luck. Tried many times including turning off the 5 band
2. Purchased the recommended Dongle for this issue. It Found our WI fi but wouldn't connect. Yes I did put the correct password in.
3. Purchased a USB Ethernet adaptor. This worked and I was able to connect to the web via ethernet. I would recommend this idea to anyone who is scared of taking the back off.Saw the clock and IP address and logged on to the dashboard app.
 4. Tried updating software on maintenance with USB stick. This worked.
5. Updated software via settings. The original software was dated 2nd August.This also downloaded
6. Removed Ethernet cable and tried Wi fi again. This time using the original dongle.This time no networks were detected.
During this procedure the purchased dongle fell apart and was sent back.
Under normal circumstances it would be easy to just give up and just use the working Ethernet set up.Unfortunatley We regularly look after a grandson with a keen interest in wires and octupus arms so do not want the unit in his vicinity. The WI fi is therefore imperative so I can use it in an out of bounds studio. The WI fi has boosters all over the house and all other equipment works as plug and go. The Brennan works with our Bluetooth Bose speakers and paired first time.
If anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.
Is it possible that the unit had a WI fi connectivity fault as everything suggests it should work?. The other question is should I risk buying another dongle with the recommended chipset and dual facility and try again.
Peter M.

Peter Lowham

Sep 2, 2021, 11:55:27 AM9/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

OK, the problem that you are experiencing looks to me like one of two possibilities.

1.  The B2's WiFi software driver has become corrupted and this is preventing the WiFi connection from being established at the B2 end.  Since the rest of your network and the devices on it are working, this seems to be the most likely situation

OR

2.  The Brennan WiFi dongle was faulty from the start.  I don't think that this is very likely as you tried another Wifi dongle and it had the same result; in each case the B2 could see the network but could not connect to it.

Also, the fact that the USB to Ethernet adaptor works makes me think that option 1 above is the likely cause of the problem.  This device will be using a different driver in the B2.

So I reckon that a replacement microSD card will possibly resolve this problem. I know that you are not keen to open the B2 yourself but if you know of someone nearby who could do this swap out for you then that would speed up the resolution.

Regards,
Peter (L).

Mark Fishman

Sep 2, 2021, 4:52:50 PM9/2/21
to Brennan Forum
One other thought. Sometimes security-minded folks restrict the devices that can connect to wifi by "whitelisting" the MAC addresses of the devices they want to connect, and prohibiting everything else. Then they buy a new device and forget they have done this.

Is there any possibility that Peter (M) has configured his BT router that way? That would account for all the older devices connecting, but the newly purchased one is not in the whitelist so would see the SSID but fail to connect. This process does not apply to wired connections so the wired ethernet connection working still would be explained.

Just throwing this out there...

PMB

Sep 3, 2021, 5:28:17 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peterm,

I fiddled with the settings for your Forum registration hoping it might kick start it into working. Try clicking on 'Reply to all' and see if you can reply to posts. To start a new post click on 'New Conversation'.

Following on from Mark's post, did BT setup the router and devices for you? They may have setup a list of allowed devices.

In the past the B2 had problems with the BT Smart connection function and I used to advise owners to turn this off. Might be worth a try.

The other thing often suggested is to power off the router, leave it a minute or two and power on again. Then see if the B2 will connect.

Have you tried 'Reset WiFi' - Maintenance menu - to clear all previous WiFi data and then run 'Setup WiFi' again?

Paul
Brennan Support.