Print out CD list on B2

rogerls...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2021, 4:56:05 PM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
On my older Brennan  JB I can save to USB a list of CDs. Can I do the same thing with the B2? Apologies for elementary question. I cant find answer with the search option on this forum.

Peter Lowham

Oct 18, 2021, 5:26:04 PM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Roger,

The equivalent function for album listings in the B2 is found at 'Settings'-->'Maintenance'-->'List Albums'.  This sends the CD list to USB C.

I have attached a PDF copy of the B2 Menus listing also.

Regards,
Peter.
B2 Menus V5.pdf

Peter Lowham

Oct 20, 2021, 7:06:20 AM10/20/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Roger responded to me via PM so I have reposted that here so that others might help if necessary.

Peter - many thanks for your very rapid and useful response.
I would like to be able to get the list into a spreadsheet so I can edit it efficiently. As I'm sure you know, the data base entries are often fairly unhelpful, giving much space to unimportant info and neglecting composer, orchestra and piece title.
Regards
roger

Peter Lowham

Oct 20, 2021, 7:54:16 AM10/20/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Roger,

No problem.  But I should explain that, in terms of editing the database data, the methods to make changes are very different between the JB7 and the B2.

As you know, to make changes to the JB7 artist, album or track data, you use 'Export Names' to write the 'jb7 catalogue' file to USB, load that USB stick into a PC, make the necessary edits and finally reload the 'jb7 catalogue' file using 'Import Names' back into the JB7.

For the B2 the process is completely different.  The equivalent database file is named 'b2db', but this file is driven by the B2 and is regularly rebuilt within the B2 by functions like 'Scan Disk'.  This means that if you make changes to the 'b2db' file, these changes will be overwritten by the B2 at some point. So, to make permanent changes to artist, album or track names to the B2 database there are a couple ways to achieve this.

1.  Use the B2's WebUI to make the necessary edits to the artist, album or track data.  Any changes performed using this method will automatically update the 'b2db' database file.

2.  Set up 'NAS' access (Network Attached Storage) on your PC/Mac/Chromebook which will enable you use Windows Explorer/Mac Finder etc. to view and edit the artist and album folder names and the track names files.  NAS enables the B2 'music' folder to be shown on the PC as just another folder set.  When you have completed an editing session you need to run 'Scan Disk' to tell the B2  that the changes have been made.  NAS is already enabled on the B2 by default.

If you need further inforation just post back here.

Regards,
Peter.

Bruce Robinson

Oct 21, 2021, 11:03:04 AM10/21/21
to Brennan Forum
I was just about to ask a similar question. I want a list of albums and artists on the B2. I am away from my machine at the moment so cannot try things out so I have to ask what precisely the 'List albums' command lists. Does it include all the album information shown on the front panel when a disc is playing?

Best wishes,
Bruce

Peter Lowham

Oct 21, 2021, 11:39:27 AM10/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bruce,

Here is a 'List Albums' output for the first twenty of the albums in my collection.  It gives the artist name followed by the album name.  If you want the track names also, then you can use the 'b2db to USB' function.

'List Albums' function output

  0 Ed Sheeran / +
   1 Jimi Hendrix / 10 Tracks Performed Live at the Royal Albert Hall
   2 Fun Lovin' Criminals / 100% Colombian
   3 Imelda May / 11 Past The Hour
   4 Human League / 12 Inch Remixes CD1
   5 Human League / 12 Inch Remixes CD2
   6 Travis / 12 Memories
   7 Neil Diamond / 12 Songs
   8 The Beatles / 1962-1966 - Disc 1
   9 ZZZX - Christmas / 20 Classic Christmas Carols
  10 Frank Sinatra / 20 Classic Tracks
  11 Glen Campbell / 20 Golden Greats
  12 The Hollies / 20 Great Love Songs [UK]
  13 The Everly Brothers / 20 Greatest hits
  14 Ethel Merman / 24 Classic Songs
  15 Fleetwood Mac / 25 years - The Chain CD1
  16 Fleetwood Mac / 25 Years - The Chain CD2
  17 Fleetwood Mac / 25 Years - The Chain CD3
  18 Fleetwood Mac / 25 Years - The Chain CD4
  19 Toby Keith / 35 Biggest Hits CD1
  20 Toby Keith / 35 Biggest Hits CD2

Here is the 'b2db to USB' function output for the first three albums in my collection.

Version 3
1510 Albums 0 mirror
10,000 Maniacs/Blind Man's Zoo
11 tracks
01 - Eat For Two.mp3
02 - Please Forgive Us.mp3
03 - The Big Parade.mp3
04 - Trouble Me.mp3
05 - You Happy Puppet.mp3
06 - Headstrong.mp3
07 - Poison In The Well.mp3
08 - Dust Bowl.mp3
09 - The Lion's Share.mp3
10 - Hateful Hate.mp3
11 - Jubilee.mp3
10,000 Maniacs/Our Time in Eden
13 tracks
01 - Noah's Dove 1.mp3
02 - These Are Days.mp3
03 - Eden.mp3
04 - Few and Far Between.mp3
05 - Stockton Gala Days.mp3
06 - Gold Rush Brides.mp3
07 - Jezebel.mp3
08 - How You've Grown.mp3
09 - Candy Everybody Wants.mp3
10 - Tolerance.mp3
11 - Circle Dream.mp3
12 - If You Intend.mp3
13 - I'm Not the Man.mp3
10cc/Sheet Music
10 tracks
01 - The Wall Street Shuffle.mp3
02 - The Worst Band In The World.mp3
03 - Hotel.mp3
04 - Old Wild Men.mp3
05 - Clockwork Creep.mp3
06 - Silly Love.mp3
07 - Somewhere In Hollywood.mp3
08 - Baron Samedi.mp3
09 - The Sacro-Iliac.mp3
10 - Oh Effendi.mp3

Regards,
Peter.

Bruce Robinson

Oct 21, 2021, 1:58:55 PM10/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, Peter. That is exactly what I'm after.
Bruce

Davywhizz

Oct 22, 2021, 4:07:04 AM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Peter, that was very timely. I'd printed out an album list yesterday and it seemed to show one album fewer than the B2 reported having. I didn't notice why at first, but your list shows that the print-out runs from 0 not 1, so it all made sense.

RandyT

Oct 22, 2021, 8:29:52 AM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
This is great info. Has anyone given thought on how to best port this information over to a smart phone? Format is not that important other than being alphabetical. Simple text would be fine since it takes up little storage space.  I suppose the easy answer is to copy/paste the list to an email and simply send it to myself and handle it from there.

I only ask because I have a great used book/CD/vinyl/etc. store, I frequent on the weekends and I've previously bought a couple of used CD's that I already have.

Anyone have more workable solutions?

Thanks!