BB1 Live streaming Youtube?

D S

Jul 27, 2021, 5:30:09 AM7/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello, Duncan from Aberdeenshire here :)
I have had a search through the forum but couldn't see this topic. Apologies if I missed it.

Is it possible to play live YouTube streams on a BB1?

When I try, I get the first few seconds playing without audio, then pausing and repeating this over.
Is it possible to live stream YouTube on a BB1?

Thanks and all the best
Duncan

J Rathbone

Jul 27, 2021, 9:03:46 AM7/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Duncan
Two reasons against this

First (technical)
BB1 seems to need a file (MP3 etc) to download and live streams are not files

Second (Brennan)
Martin promised an “easy fix” quite a while back to update the BB1 software to allow users to adjust the screen aspect ratio in order to remove picture distortion for those users who do not enjoy watching distorted images - like you can on your telly
But as things stand,  your live stream and all new youtubes (since the 2000s) are “squashed up” and not very nice to watch because the BB1 screen is 4:3 ratio (like the old CRT telly) and squeezes the widescreen 16:9 youtube videos to fit the 4:3 BB1 screen
So far it seems nothing has been done by Brennan and there’s been no progress update on this despite asking (is this even on the update list?)
So as things stand, even if you could watch Sky’s coverage of the Olympics on the BB1, you probably wouldn’t want to see all those weirdly tall and stretched body shapes…
Jim

D S

Jul 27, 2021, 1:37:42 PM7/27/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, at least I can give up trying now :) Would be neat one day maybe!

Cheers

Duncan