Connecting B2 to my desktop system

Nigel Parker

Apr 15, 2021, 11:24:09 PM4/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi there,

I'm running a digital music collection from a separate 6TB USB drive to my laptop.  Additionally, I have a set of Audioengine 2+ Powered Speakers and a Audioengine S8 Subwoofer connected to my laptop via a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS DAC that connects into the laptop from the output channel of the Audioengine 2+ Powered Speaker using a 3.5mm jack into a USB port on the laptop.

I'm interested in buying a 2TB Brennan to get my CD's fully FLAC'd to a dedicated hard drive that I can then use via a bespoke interface.

Currently I can play music from my laptop through this speaker set up via either Spotify (or similar) or via the hard drive and FooBar 2000 (or similar).  I can also play music from my iPhone directly through the Audioengine speakers via Bluetooth.

My understanding is the that the Brennan has an amplifier built in and that this might produce issues if I connect it into my current powered speaker set up.

My questions are:

1. Can I connect the Brennan into my laptop via a USB connection and without blowing my Audioengine powered speakers?

2. Given that Brennan seems to have Bluetooth capability could I just simply Bluetooth connect it to my Audioengine 2+ Speaker (Powered), yet still use the web browser interface on my laptop, without blowing the Audioengine 2+ Speakers (Powered)?

Thanks,

Nigel

Davywhizz

Apr 16, 2021, 3:03:49 AM4/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Your desktop setup is very similar to mine other than I use Steljes powered speakers (very similar to Audioengine). However you can't connect a B2 to a laptop via USB as a music source,  the B2 USB slots don't work that way.

In better news, the B2 does have an internal amp and speaker outputs, but many of us don't use them. Using only the line in/out options avoids any risk to your powered speakers.

You could probably use Bluetooth, but  the B2 bluetooth out function isn't strictly part of the spec (whereas bluetooth in is), so it's not guaranteed to work with every BT speaker. It's likely someone here will tell you how it handles yours. Just being cautious here, the B2 bluetooth connectivity is pretty good but it's worth checking compatibility.

I've been thinking of adding a second B2 to my laptop system (my current one is part of a more traditional hifi). If I did it I would lose the Cambridge DAC  in favour of a headphone amp/DAC with both USB and optical inputs and RCA analogue out. The B2 would go directly to that via optical cable, to benefit from a better DAC, as would the laptop. In my hifi I use a Fiio K5 Pro, just as a headphone amp. It's excellent for that and  would easily drive powered speakers too. I know it's extra cost but it's a neat solution, not that expensive and gives an extra benefit of being able to drive even the most demanding headphones.

Davywhizz

Apr 16, 2021, 3:20:50 AM4/16/21
to Brennan Forum
PS  - you might, of course, try setting up the B2 as NAS and using it in the same way as your current separate drive. It's not something I know much about but others here will tell you more. I've only ever moved tracks from my laptop to B2 via a NAS connection and recently started experimenting with my Bluesound music streamer to index the B2's contents as a library.  All very clever, but I think I prefer ridiculously expensive cable connections for my music systems.

PMB

Apr 16, 2021, 6:21:58 AM4/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

Not wishing to stop you purchasing a B2 but it sounds like you have most of what you want already i.e. a large HDD, computer and great speaker setup, and only require some software to run it all (VLC, etc). There is a plethoria of 'apps' out there which can provide you with a control front end. I suppose the only downside is you will need to keep your computer on while listening to music but you already do that now.

What advantage/s do you envisage the B2 providing?

Does the 6TB HDD have all of your CDs stored on it and what format have you saved them in? BTW the B2 is limited to 2TB.

Have you still got the CDs to load onto the B2?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 16, 2021, 7:18:57 AM4/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I have successfully connected my B2 to my Audioengine HD3 speakers via Bluetooth.  So I suspect you'd have no problem doing the same with your AE 2+ speakers.

If your Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS DAC has a spare Toslink digital input, that would be the place to connect the B2 to your system.
I just looked up the DacMagic XS DAC and I see that it is a portable unit with only one input.  I'd recommend that you get a small Cambridge desktop DAC with multiple inputs.  It could even improve the sound somewhat over your existing DacMagic XS.

You can control the B2 with the WebUI running in a browser on your laptop.

Nigel Parker

Jul 1, 2021, 7:15:37 AM7/1/21
to Brennan Forum

Thanks for responding to my post.  A bit of long drink before responding, but I've had the idea of buying a Brennan B2 on the back burner while I considered my set up and the feedback...

I think the main reason for getting something like a B2 is to condense all those CDs into one much smaller box.  I had wondered if it might be better to then run that as a separate system, and from the feedback it seems that is probably the case.  That way I don't have to fiddle around with a laptop to get some music and I most likely have a cleaner sounding, independent music system available.  It seems that the key benefit of getting the Brennan would allow me to access my CD's all in one place and not be dependent on the laptop and the issues that brings into the equation. It sounds like it would be better to use the Brennan as a standalone piece of kit apart from the computer hard drive.

While I didn't burn all my CDs to my hard drive in full FLAC capability (a mistake on my part) I still have all the CDs in my flat and could burn them all again.  With the B2 could I burn them to my computer hard drive and then transfer them across to the B2?  Or is it better to burn them directly to the B2 to ensure track listing etc. gets completed correctly.   I have about 700 CDs so the 2TB should be plenty with some to spare.

If I set up the Brennan apart from the laptop, I could then hook it up to a set of additional passive speakers OR Bluetooth it to my current AudioEngine A2+s that are set connected to my computer (and still work when it's turned off) OR buy a set of AudioEngine 5+s (which was my original thought) and either run to them via Bluetooth or Wired.  From the feedback I've received, it seems that all of those could work.  I could then control the Brennan via the web interface on iPad, iPhone or even on my laptop if that was actually turned on.  My understanding is that the Brennan has an in built DAC, so connecting in an external one would be cream on the cake rather than an absolute essential?

Reading the forums and eCommerce site reviews, there seems to be some solid positive reviews, but also some people that have a few hurdles to overcome in set up etc.  Some people seem to love it; some seem to hate it.  I'm wondering if this is a reflection of people who are not sufficiently technology capable or lack the time and patience to fiddle with a piece of kit?  Is there anything I should be really wary of? Is the Brennan After Sales Support fit for purpose?

Nigel

Nigel Parker

Davywhizz

Jul 1, 2021, 7:55:44 AM7/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I ripped my CDs partly direct to the B2 and partly on my laptop using dBpoweramp software. I then transferred tracks to the B2 via USB stick or wirelessly,  using the B2 as NAS. I'd have used the NAS route more except that at the time my laptop and B2 were on separate wifi systems so USB stick was easier than taking the laptop downstairs each time. I found dBpoweramp recognised more CDs than the B2, only because it searches more databases, and also preferred it for deciding before ripping how I wanted compilation and Classical CDs to be shown in the B2 library. Also, it can rip direct to FLAC so you miss the time-consuming compression stage on the B2, though that can happen overnight or whenever the B2 goes into standby.

The B2 does have its own DAC, but I much prefer using an external one. I think that would be the consensus for most users of the forum. But it's more boxes and more space taken up. One of the big attractions of the B2 is that it can, if you want it to, be a self-contained music system (just add speakers) offering your CD library, internet radio, Spotify Connect (if you have an account) and a really nice YouTube search function. It now works with Sonos too.

Re B2 capacity - I have just under 850 CDs on my 480GB B2 and think it could take 150 more. All in FLAC, no mp3s. So a 2TB will be way more than you need.

I had the same reservations as you about the B2 - from reading some mixed reviews and the problems listed here - before buying mine, but I'm very pleased I did. The excellent support here and from the Brennan company seems to solve pretty much all the issues, though I can see some customers have been unlucky and had frustrating experiences. I believe the company ethos is genuinely about continuous improvement; we get various software updates and new features (like the Sonos connectivity) at no extra cost. And you've got to love a company when you might get Martin Brennan himself replying to your query. I doubt if Mr or Ms Sony does that. As a consumer I generally expect things to "just work" but have to say I've learned to enjoy tinkering with the B2, though, apart from making backups of the music files, which has to be an essential, I've only gone as far as changing an internal SD card and opening it up to add an ethernet connection.

What did you rip your CDs to if not to FLAC? I'm assuming mp3, which wouldn't give you the full potential of the B2 on playback, but if you have high enough resolution copies dBpoweramp is very good at converting file formats, so it's just possible you may not have to do it all again. I've only used it to convert files which are above CD quality to lower res FLAC, because the B2 struggles to read very high res and only ever plays back at up to CD quality, so it's a waste of space to have anything higher.

Nigel Parker

Jul 1, 2021, 8:03:04 AM7/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks.  I used the  dBpoweramp too, but I only ripped them to the recommended Level 5, not Level 8 or Uncompressed.  When I tried that latter options recently the stored file was somewhat larger, so I don't believe I have ripped the majority to best resolution available.  However, from what you have written maybe Level 5 is the optimal level for the Brennan B2 and any higher is just going to create problems.

Davywhizz

Jul 1, 2021, 8:25:46 AM7/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Very pleased I asked! Level 5 FLAC is fine, there's no loss of data. All FLAC formats are lossless, though many people seem to think otherwise. The only differences are in how long the compression process takes and how big the final compressed file is. They should all sound exactly the same on playback.

JFBUK

Jul 1, 2021, 9:56:54 AM7/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

To add to Davy's comprehensive post.

1.  I always rip on a PC to have better control of filenames , and as I playback sometimes outside of the B2, PC ripping software populates metadata tags more comprehensively than the B2 which other playback software can exploit.
2. You can also upload to the B2 without a USB stick or NAS using the functionality of the Web UI, just remember to organise your music as the B2 expects
artist\album\tracks
b2.JPG

Daniel Taylor

Jul 1, 2021, 12:58:38 PM7/1/21
to Brennan Forum

Davy and John have it pretty well covered.  But I thought I'd respond to this paragraph from one of your posts:
"Reading the forums and eCommerce site reviews, there seems to be some solid positive reviews, but also some people that have a few hurdles to overcome in set up etc.  Some people seem to love it; some seem to hate it.  I'm wondering if this is a reflection of people who are not sufficiently technology capable or lack the time and patience to fiddle with a piece of kit?  Is there anything I should be really wary of? Is the Brennan After Sales Support fit for purpose?"

I think you've hit on a common occurance of people without much technical knowledge, or inclination to learn, or patience, being the ones who have the most trouble.

Re: "Is there anything I should be wary of?"
Although the B2 is a computer, it does not handle multi-tasking well.  It is best - imperative, IMO - to never ask the B2 to do more than one thing at a time.  For example, don't play music while editing playlists or track names.  You might get away with it once or twice, but if that continues, bad things will happen.

Re: Brennan After Sales Support
Most of that is handled here in the forum.  There is a terrific amount of knowledge here, and several very kind and helpful people.  If a unit should happen to need physical repair during warranty, Brennan backs up that warranty very well.

Nigel Parker

Jul 5, 2021, 4:40:15 AM7/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks for all the helpful feedback from all concerned.  Very helpful.  N