converting mp3

Peter Howarth

Feb 22, 2021, 4:56:45 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
In January it took me over three weeks to convert my wav files to mp3  256, and after doing so the total file size was too large for my baby brennan.  Consequently, last week I set compression to mp3 128 and hit 'compress now'.   That was three days ago, and the front display of my B2 hasn't changed; it is showing the time and the date, and nothing else. This is different from when I ripped and compressed the files before, when there was a running commentary on how many files had been compressed.
So my question is 'are the mp3 files currently being compressed?'
Peter

PMB

Feb 22, 2021, 6:03:05 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi peterala...,

As far as I know the MP3 mirror files are already at 128k and this is fixed - the Compression settings in the Settings menu only affect the B2's main store of music, not the mirror files.

You could consider fitting a larger capacity SD Card to the BB1 - have a look at the instructions on the BB1 User Guide page - link - scroll to the bottom of the page. Or our service agent - AudioTech - can do this (approx £40 for 128GB or £70 for 256GB fitted but depends on SD Card cost on the day) -   audiotechcontact   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 22, 2021, 6:22:01 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Peter said he converted his WAV files to MP3 256.  Once converted to 256, they cannot be converted again to 128.

The only option now is to either start over ripping to the B2 or to rip and convert on your computer.

Peter Lowham

Feb 22, 2021, 7:00:55 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter et al,

I would say that the answer is 'No'; compression is not running.  I looks to me like the B2 is sitting at idle because it has nothing to do.  As Daniel says above, the 'wav' tracks were converted to 'mp3 - 256K' in the original compression.  That means that these tracks will not be selected again in any subseuent 'Compress Now' function (or in any other compression run).

@Peter: can you post here the output music file stats from the B2.  If you press the 'INFO' button on the remote twice or click the little COG icon at the top of the web UI page.  Also include the 'Disk used' figure.

Also can you state the B2 software version date and whether it is 'B2' or 'B2B'.

My reason for asking for this data is that there is a bug in the '256K' compression rate which causes the compression to actually run at '128K' so the collection might be at 128K already.  I can do a quick estimate of what size the collection should be if I have the stats.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter Howarth

Feb 22, 2021, 7:35:26 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

I don't have any 'mirror' files, as far as I know.

I initially ripped my cd's in WAV form, stored on the B2 hard drive.  I then made copies of these onto external hard drives.

I went back to the B2 and set it to compress the files to MP3 - and I used the 256 setting.  Once it finished, I discovered the total size was larger than I wanted.  I then changed the compression setting to 128 and set the B2 going again.

If the B2 is in the process of doing this I don't want to interrupt it, but I have no way of knowing what it's doing.

cheers

Peter

Peter Howarth

Feb 22, 2021, 7:40:26 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

Software Version B2B Jan 26 2021 10:19:51

8023 tracks in 590 albums 330 artists

14 WAV 741 FLAC 7268 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 480.00G Used 52.32Gb

Cheers

Peter

Peter Lowham

Feb 22, 2021, 8:52:33 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

I have processed your figures and from those I reckon that your mp3 files are actually compressed at the 128Kb rate.  This has probably happened because of a bug that exists in the compression software where is is only compressing at 128Kb, no mater what you rate select.  I noticed this problem a few weeks ago and logged it with Brennan Support, so the bug will probably be fixed in a later release.

If I assume that your mp3 files are compressed at 128Kb, my 'Estimator' gives me a total space used of 48GB which is very close to your reported figure.
If I assume that your mp3 files are compressed at 256Kb, my 'Estimator' gives me a total space used of 76GB which is well above your reported figure.

There are always variations in estimates, this is caused by the 'non-music' content such as '.jpg', 'pdf', etc. files that the Brennan does not count in the stats, but I add in an adjusting amount for those.

You can do a further check on this if you can look at your individual mp3 files in a 'spot check' manner.  For typical popular music tracks, 'mp3 - 128K' files tend to average at about 4MB in size each, varying from about 3 to 5 MB generally.  'mp3 - 256K' files average about 7MB in size each, varying from about 6 to 9 MB.

If you compressed the remaining 'wav' and '.flac' tracks at the 128K rate, your total music collection would require about 38GB, so an upgrade to a 128GB microSD card would give you plenty of headroom.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Howarth

Feb 22, 2021, 9:45:30 AM2/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter.

The issue is partly about my car sound system (which will run from a memory card), and not just my baby brennan, so there is no  need for me for me to upgrade the BB1 SD card.  Now that I know the files are 128 it is just a question of choosing which I want to have on the BB1/in the car, leaving the other (WAV) files to be played on my home system.

Many thanks for the help Peter (and Paul)

cheers

Peter