Track list for ALL albums now includes duplicate names prepended with ._

Martin Crawley

Jul 3, 2020, 9:41:23 AM7/3/20
to Brennan Forum
I was trying to load an album to my B2 using the web GUI Upload function. After 15 minutes still on track 1 I realised something was wrong. The web GUI and front panel were unresponsive. All I could do was power-cycle. When it came back again Web GUI and front panel showed no artists, albums or music files at all. I tried a Rescan and Cleanup and now it works after a fashion. Web GUI, Front panel and App all show track names duplicated, but the first names in the list all appear thus: ._01 Falling, Catching. Following this track list is the correct list, all missing ._  I thought they may be hidden files so I checked in a Finder Window (yes, I'm on a Mac) and ssh to the B2 and these ._ files do not appear , even with ls -al.  (See attached grabs)

Is there anything I can do to remove these files(?) or do I need to restore from my backup?  Thanks in advance.
Screener 3.png
Screener 2.png

Peter Lowham

Jul 3, 2020, 9:58:09 AM7/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Martin,

Have you run the 'Scan Disk' option since you ran 'Cleanup'?  From the album listing in Linux, it looks like your music files are OK, but that the B2 is not yet aware of the 'Cleanup'.

Also what version of software is your B2 running on?

Regards,
Peter.

Martin Crawley

Jul 3, 2020, 10:13:45 AM7/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter. Perfect; that did the trick. (I'm not really clear what Cleanup actually does.) :-D

Edwyn Corteen

Jul 3, 2020, 10:32:20 AM7/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin

You can see what each menu item does in Menus item here https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/Menus

Cleanup does this...

Removes empty albums, hidden files and any files beginning with '._' (dot underscore). Run Settings->Scan Disk after.

Martin Crawley

Jul 3, 2020, 10:34:56 AM7/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Edwyn, very useful.

Peter Lowham

Jul 3, 2020, 10:35:43 AM7/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin,

Great news and thank for the feedback.

'Cleanup' searches for hidden files, empty folders and files beginning with '._' and deletes them.  So it did do the job as intended, but the B2 then needs to have its internal music reference database updated so that the 'Cleanup' changes are acted on.

That's where 'Scan Disk' comes in.  It does the B2 database update, hence the B2 'knows' about the changes.

'Scan Disk' is very important to the B2, so if you are having problems with artist / album/ track listings, 'Scan Disk' usually sorts things out.

Regards,
Peter.